Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please - pig pens post weaning  (Read 3615 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Advice please - pig pens post weaning
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:38:22 am »
Would appreciate advice from experienced old timers on how to manage the sows and piglets, post weaning, in about 8 weeks time.   In the past we have bought in 8 week old weaners and kept them all together until 4 months, then separated into boy and girl pens until slaughter.   We were then left with our two registered gilts, Tamworth and Saddleback, who lived happily together through their pregnancies, now separated for farrowing.
1)  After weaning, should the weaners be kept in a separate enclosure to the sows for the rest of time, or can they all be put back together eventually?    There will be only 18 days difference between the Tamworth and Saddleback weaners, so they should all be OK together post weaning.
2)  The two gilt/sows, one of whom has given birth, the other due in 12 days, are currently arguing over the fence at every opportunity at the moment, but it might be that the Saddleback is very bored and lonely being in her own pen now waiting for her own due date.   Can sows go back and live together once their young are weaned, as they used to before?
3)  We have one extra paddock with good grass and grazing, and so far have let the two adult pigs in separately to have a good munch.   Would it be a bad idea to allow them into this extra paddock together to give the Saddleback some company?    The Tamworth piglets are in their ark in a separate enclosure not accessible to the Saddleback.   
An update on my post on Monday worried sick about lack of milk in our first time Tamworth mum, Amber.   After the two oxytocin injections everything seems to be going really well, and cannot get over the speed with which the piglets are growing after only 5 days on this planet.   The piglet huddle originally filled up a quarter of the creep area, now they almost seem to fill it up.  We also leave a bowl of goats milk in the creep area and this is now being consumed.  So all is well for now - Tamsaddle

robert waddell

Re: Advice please - pig pens post weaning
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:06:42 am »
if you are wanting to get your sows in pig just after weaning you will have to separate the sow from the weaner's (they come in season 3-5 days)if you are not bothering about a quick turnaround the piglets can stay with mum and self wean
mixing the sows is a bit more chancy just because they got on well before does not mean they will agree when mixed  if you can have a fence or gate (sturdy and solid)betwean them an let them get there aggression out before mixing there will be tussles even with the piglets
best to keep the saddelback where she is going to farrow
good to here the piglets are doing fine   you may find the piglets will get to much fat on them with goats milk  and they grow quicker as well :pig:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:40:10 pm »
Thanks for reply.   The sows will not be serviced again until November.   I thought one was meant to separate the sow from the weaners at 8 weeks to give the sow a break and let her regain some weight, or is that unnecessary?    Does it matter at what age (in weeks) the piglets have access to nuts?    (We use Farmgate sow and weaner nuts.)   

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »
if you are not going to get them back in pig till you will have to watch the sows don't get over fat (fat sows don't let as many eggs down)
if the piglets are drawing the sow down yes separate them
piglets will start to eat at the mothers food and increase accordingly :pig:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:57:17 am »
Hi-jacking your thread, Tamsaddle can I ask Lillian what she thinks of my idea for my Kunes. I have had made an extra long ark with a door at each end and a see-through divider in the middle (removable) This is in a long pen divided in half across the ark, so each pen has one half of ark. I thought that way the pig who has not farrowed will still have the company of her sister without having direct access.  This is all very sturdy. Good idea or not? :-\

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:43:29 am »
Hi Sylvia,
I must say your idea is a brilliant idea. Yes it does let the sisters see each other and not interfere with the one due to farrow. Be careful the wee piglets can't get through your divider, happy piggin :pig: :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS