Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: miniature pig wanted  (Read 20029 times)

HappyHippy

Re: miniature pig wanted
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 09:10:10 am »
I know all who posted replies about the micro pig (no such thing) ??? ??? have tried to convince this person to really think twice, some people can't or won't take advice from others and the best way for him to find out what a so called micro pig will grow to, is to continue with this and get one and then see just how big they do get.
TBH I've been tempted to do this myself. Buy one and keep it with the Kunes so I can compare everything - size, temprament, health, feeding etc, but I can't afford to pay the prices the breeders ask  ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 09:21:19 am »
your luck may be in      nature is such a wonderfull thing full of surprises        we may just have the ideal pigglet at a price you can afford ;) ;) :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 10:02:56 am »
When he came as a rescue baby, at 3 months old he was smaller than our admittedly large cat. 

And now at 18 months:

HappyHippy

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:31 am »
 :love: Digby  :love:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 10:38:19 am »
He is massive!  :love: bless him, could certainly give the cat a run for his money now!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »

Digby's lovely, and what a spot to have a lay down?! :)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 03:10:12 pm »
I didn't mean to offend you or cause upset - I've just seen some very scary sights and heard some terrible stories and wouldn't want you to put your family in some of those situations. Micro/mini/teacup pigs are my particular bug bear - I'm sorry for ranting  :-*
Still say you can't beat a Kune Kune for cute - look at this face  ;)

I thought the best place in the UK to get what amounts to a minature/micro pig was Wendy Scudamore, who also breeds Kunes as well????
I would give this lady a check up as being your safest bet.
Having said that pigs of any kind are best kept outside and in two's as they are oh so social.
 :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »
Wendy Scudmore is the Chair of the British Kune Kune Society ( www.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk ) - of which HappyHippy, myself & some other KK keepers are members.  Wendy does not advocate the "micro-pig" thing anymore than the rest of us.  She has started keeping Swedish Pigs as well as Kunes - you can look at her website on www.bartonhill.co.uk (which will also give a sensible price guide for those seriously keeping Kunes)

hth  :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 08:57:45 am »
Pigs do make great pets, as long as they have the correct facilities and one remembers at the end of the day they are PIGs, eat anything, (not always what is correct for them) and dont always differentiate between the carrot and the finger holding them. 

Unlikely I know but even the most gentle pig can turn if upset.  200 k of angry pig can be quite frightening.  Always have an escape route. 

My worries for "miniature" pigs is the inbreeding which can make the nature more unstable (imho).

robert waddell

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 09:27:25 am »
there was a thread on this site about miniature hereford cattle           and they were recognised by the hereford society as such 
herefords appearing more prone to what can only be described as dwarfism            we had one many years ago but just put it down to an ill doer
as i said in other posts i have what appears as a micro/mini  or a dwarf pig no chance of it passing its genes on it has no nuts
beewyched    the kune kune pig society managed to get themselves in trouble years ago    with the monopoly's and mergers commission  over price fixing   by issuing a guide as to what breeders should charge          any sale should be on a buyer/seller agreement and not influenced by prices issued by a breed society    that to me is a cartel    and illegal   sorry if it offends  but it has to be said

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 10:23:28 am »
As far as I know and I am speaking from a health issue here, any animal bred down to create a small version of itself ends up with health problems, heart for a start, joints etc. Mini Pigs are a fad at the moment but once people start getting the vet bills they will soon go out of fashion.

HappyHippy

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 12:26:48 pm »
As far as I know and I am speaking from a health issue here, any animal bred down to create a small version of itself ends up with health problems, heart for a start, joints etc. Mini Pigs are a fad at the moment but once people start getting the vet bills they will soon go out of fashion.
Yes Sabrina - spot on  ;)
Many of the 'micros' are the result of breeding from runts (not something a reputable breeder would ever do) and as such there are more than likely going to be health problems in them and their off spring. I've seen some awful pictures of 'micro breeding stock' - pigs with curved backs and splay legs, not traits you would want to risk passing down the bloodline. There have been cases 'allegedly' where the bone structure has stopped growing, but the internal organs don't, it's not a nice thought.
Karen x

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:02 pm »
I know somebody who bought 2 pommeranians, yes i know they're not pigs but please bear with me.  The puppy was teeny tiny and very much the runt of the litter.  Once they were home and settled in the 2 pups would do what puppies do and run around and play and scrap.  When they took them to the vets for vaccs the vet commented on how small she was and that he was concerned about her  :-[ she went home and carried on doing what she was doing then one day she keeled over and died  :'( turned out that her body WAS to small for her insides and she had a heart attack.  Not sure why she was so small wether it was simply a genetic fault (same as so called micros) or if she didn't get what she needed from mum when she was born.

My point is if there are defects in anyway surely it is not a good thing to promote these?  For the vanity of humans these poor animals suffer.  As i said in another post, these poor creatures are being exploited as the newest and most fashionable pets.

Sry another 2p worth

(yes i know i am by far a pig expert but i know when animals suffer)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »
there was a thread on this site about miniature hereford cattle           and they were recognised by the hereford society as such 
herefords appearing more prone to what can only be described as dwarfism            we had one many years ago but just put it down to an ill doer
as i said in other posts i have what appears as a micro/mini  or a dwarf pig no chance of it passing its genes on it has no nuts
beewyched    the kune kune pig society managed to get themselves in trouble years ago    with the monopoly's and mergers commission  over price fixing   by issuing a guide as to what breeders should charge          any sale should be on a buyer/seller agreement and not influenced by prices issued by a breed society    that to me is a cartel    and illegal   sorry if it offends  but it has to be said

Non taken Robert  ;)  The reason I mentioned about the prices - she's one of the few who does put it on her site & her name had been put forward already on this thread - was to show folks that even the Chair of the BKKPS doesn't charge these crazy prices that seem to be being quoted - £600-£700  :o  I had someone come up to me at Neilston Show the other week (when I was doing my "bit" for the Smallholders Show) & was asked if I was one of the persons who was selling Kunes in Ayrshire or Stirlingshire for "those ridiculous prices" - apparently there's someone/s up here charging £600 for non-registered "pure-bred" Kunes  :o
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »
would that not be the guy that had them at lanark
did you not get that persons contact details
it just shows you there are gums out there

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS