Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: miniature pig wanted  (Read 20027 times)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
Re: miniature pig wanted
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 08:31:53 pm »
what do u mean troll?????

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:39 pm »
i thank you all for your posts but i only have a small garden and i am after miniature pigs  i know thay like company i am looking for a cupple  please let me know if you can find any
I'm afraid they live in never never land.....you've as much chance of finding one as you have the tooth fairy or the easter bunny  :D
Seriously though - they are not a recognised breed and have no pedigree, you're basically buying a mongral pig and have absolutely no guarentee of the size they'll grow to - and just try getting your money back from the breeder who sold you them, many people are still waiting and will probably never get reimbursed.
But don't take our word for it ::) go ahead and get your mini pigs but please don't expect sympathy from us when it all goes wrong (and it WILL, please believe me) - I know of lots of folk who've bought them and only one or two who've still got them (but they are NOT small pigs anymore)
Karen

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 08:48:18 pm »
i have no experiance of kune kunes but unless you are pretty strong then having a upset pig and someone unable to get away from it fast could be dangerous. even the most chilled pig can get upset when your sticking needles or doing other nasty things to them. a 100kg pig can give you a very serious whack.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »
Having read a few of demonfarmer's other postings on this site the word 'troll' springs to mind...

I don't think demonfarmer2630 is a troll, just someone with little experience.

Is that right demonfarmer2630?

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 09:27:42 pm »
new on here but iv had live stock before sheep chickens and 5 years ago the family pig died we had her for 12 years so i do know about pigs to a point  some people are horrible but thank you Dan your the only useful person on here so thank you

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 09:49:57 pm »
new on here but iv had live stock before sheep chickens and 5 years ago the family pig died we had her for 12 years so i do know about pigs to a point  some people are horrible but thank you Dan your the only useful person on here so thank you

I think that what ppl are trying to say is that there is no such thing as a mini pig.  Even the so called "mini pigs" can grow fairly big.  I have a pure Kune female and she is huge !!! I have a mongrol Kune cross and she is still a bit small but is still growing.  I honestly think that you are after the designer pet and that will jst encourage the interbreeding and sick animals and people being duped into forking out stupid amounts of money for a so called designer pet.

As HH said the smallest you will get is a Kune and they can get failry big.  Yes they are lovely animals and very friendly, but go into it with your eyes open.  The saddest thing is that most of the idiots who activly look for mini pigs (lol) end up putting them into rescue centres when they find out they cannot cope.

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 09:55:20 pm »
Please, please. please listen to what everyone on here is trying to tell you.  If you have kept pigs before then you know how big they can get and what is involved in keeping them.  Please think very carefully before buying any 'micro pigs'  they are a fallacy and grow up to be alot less micro that you seemigly expect them to be.
   If you little boy loves pigs so much then take up the suggestion of others on here and adopt one.  Speaking as a person who works closesly with young children on a professional basis, I'm sure your son is much more likely to gain from this experience than from you getting pigs that he gets attached to then you cannot keep.  If that were my boys it would break their hearts.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 09:56:34 pm »
Demomfarmer

I hope my post did not offend you it wasn't meant to.Having read your reply regarding space i feel it more important than ever to say there are no miniature pigs in the U.K i would hate for anyone to buy a" miniature" and end up with a large animal they weren't expecting.May i ask what breed you had previosly? You obviosly know how to care for a pig as your last one lived so long. Posters on here just don't want people to be stung by the unscrupulous making a profit basically by deception. I hope you don't me asking was your son about when you had your last pig or is it a case that he wasn't and you think a mini would be safer/easier /less intimidating for him? Sorry for all the questions i'm just trying to understand why other than space it has to be a mini.

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »
I didn't mean to offend you or cause upset - I've just seen some very scary sights and heard some terrible stories and wouldn't want you to put your family in some of those situations. Micro/mini/teacup pigs are my particular bug bear - I'm sorry for ranting  :-*
Still say you can't beat a Kune Kune for cute - look at this face  ;)

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »

hey thats a bit unfair.... some of us are actually trying to help and i find that comment a wee bit offensive..
however it takes allsorts

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 08:36:59 am »
If this guy has £800 to blow on a couple of mini pigs then he's more money than sense, surely money better spent on his son!!!!! :(
Let him get them and then wait till the poo hits the fan, his house & garden are trashed, the pigs too boisterous and big to handle. C'est la vie theres no helping some people. He came on for advice and opinion and we've given it to him if he dooesn't or won't listen thats his problem.
Mandy  :pig:

Ps yes Gavo can type fairly fast do it for a living!! ;D

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 08:44:00 am »
Ah that explains it then

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:53 am »
I've always had Berkshires in the past, lovely pigs but I wouldn't let children too near them as not too bright and would walk over a small child rather than go round them. Then I got some Kune Kune and the sight of them, my whippets and my grandchildren skipping off across the field will be an evergreen memory.
Kunes for me now every time :-*

HappyHippy

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:36 am »
I've always had Berkshires in the past, lovely pigs but I wouldn't let children too near them as not too bright and would walk over a small child rather than go round them. Then I got some Kune Kune and the sight of them, my whippets and my grandchildren skipping off across the field will be an evergreen memory.
Kunes for me now every time :-*
I've found that with my Berkshires too - not great with kids (quite 'nibbly'  :o)
But I've got to say the Kunes and the Large Blacks (for all that they are massive compared to the Kunes) are really gentle with the kids - even Connor (and he's only 2)
My Kune Kune piglets (8 inches high and 8 inches wide  ::) ;D) love squeezing themselves through the fence to play with next door's young heifers and bullocks - much fun and games for all concerned and amazing to watch  ;D Especially the frantic rush to get back through when they realise it's feeding time  ;)
Karen  :wave:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:42 am »
I know all who posted replies about the micro pig (no such thing) ??? ??? have tried to convince this person to really think twice, some people can't or won't take advice from others and the best way for him to find out what a so called micro pig will grow to, is to continue with this and get one and then see just how big they do get.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS