Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alternative buildings - materials  (Read 7518 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Alternative buildings - materials
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 12:44:06 pm »
It worked! So here's some more...... ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:33 pm »
WOW! They are fantastic!  What do you do with them?  Do you let them out as holiday cottages?  I'd come! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 09:47:52 pm »
I know, aren't they mad!  ???
They were all built by different people over a period of years - they're all about 15 years old - the first one on stilts (telegraph poles) is a self contained studio which overlooks the mill pond on one side and river to its rear, the second we call the 'caravan crash' - its one half caravan and the other side is an amazing little timber living room with balcony over the river and chintz setee, the third which shows a turret in the foreground (actually that's the composting loo) is a big house made of straw bales and it has a big red Aga in it - an old man used to live there with a beautiful young lady - they lived there naked (I don't jest) and bathed in the river every day of the year - the last one with the turfy looking roof is just a big shed and the roof has gone that way over years.  They're all complete with wood burning stoves and mini-kitchens so we do hope to rent some of them out but they all need rennovated to a degree and are subject to h&s issues so we have to be careful.  We live in the miller's house (which we need to gut) and we will be renting out the mill (complete with electricity run off the water wheel) and the pigsty (cottage) from next year as they're almost complete - but that's after we dig out the mill pond, build a bridge over the river, build a new workshop to replace the dilapidated one.....don't remind me how long the list is and we're almost half way through the year. Big discounts for all TAS users though from early next year (when I get around to the website...)  Good examples though of non architects (we are architects ourselves - and that's not helping at the moment ::)) doing their own thing with local stuff and things they could get there hands on.  Anything's possible!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:55:16 pm »
They are fab and just a little bit mad.
I need to build some outbuildings for our farm, but on the budget we have (basically £0) they are going to have to be a bit 'recycled' and I'm wondering how you phrase a planning application when the 'plan' is to make it up as you go along based on what you can find cheap or free at the time!?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39:15 pm »
They are fab and just a little bit mad.
I need to build some outbuildings for our farm, but on the budget we have (basically £0) they are going to have to be a bit 'recycled' and I'm wondering how you phrase a planning application when the 'plan' is to make it up as you go along based on what you can find cheap or free at the time!?
Gather all the bits and pieces first? Then plan it then submit the plan?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 09:27:59 am »
Planning?  You can always class it as a 'temporary' building - ways and means around everything .... so long as you're isolated from the road or neighbours then ..... it can always be a mock up experimental etc.... you are creating a 'sculpture' after all..... the list goes on ;)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 09:34:21 am »
P.S....
In case you don't know about it, there is a website called www.freecycle.org and you can sign in for your area - it's for people to offer items (or wanted) to save landfill - you can get almost anything on it and very often building materials come up - sheds, hardcore, stone, glass - sometimes providing you dismantle whatever it is in return - worth a look - we do a lot of swapping say for fresh eggs or meat.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 09:48:45 am »
Freecycle http://www.uk.freecycle.org/ or freegle  http://www.ilovefreegle.org/ are not really meant for swapping, purely for giving away. 
About Freegle
Don't throw it away – give it away!
You might not need your old sofa or wheelbarrow any more – but there might be someone just round the corner who does. Or if there's something you'd like, someone nearby might have one that they might just throw away if they don't know what else to do with it.

Freegle groups make this happen online. Sign up, post an OFFER of something you want to get rid of, or a WANTED for something you need.

We are a national grassroots organisation of people throughout the United Kingdom who are giving and receiving free unwanted items in their immediate communities. Local charities, non-profit groups and communities are encouraged to join.

All groups within this organisation operate with a basic principle – all offers and requests must be freegle (free and legal). Some groups may have additional guidelines such as no offers or requests for animals, or that items must be suitable for all ages.

Our aim is to keep anything reusable out of our landfill sites. Meeting new people helps to develop local community networks and friendships in the process.

We hope you enjoy freegling with the freegle community!
FREEly Given, Locally, Easily

There are swap sites as well - http://www.swapz.co.uk/ , http://www.iswap.co.uk/home/home.asp

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS