Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alternative buildings - materials  (Read 7535 times)

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
Alternative buildings - materials
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:33:01 am »
Cob cottage - straw house - wooden hut - bunker  :-\

I am after information, anecdotes or good old fashion advice

I want to ...... live the dream, quit the job and live off the land (well as much as i can anyway)

There has to be a better way of living than the way i am doing it now  >:(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Alternative buildings - materials
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »
I expect what we would all like to do, hope you manage but it will be hard  :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:01 pm »
Agree with Sabrina.
Most of the time it takes determination, blood, sweat & tears literally, sufficent funds to get started, mutual partner committment and the list goes on.
I think a lot of people have the dream but the wake-up call is a very sharp and the learning curve very steep.
Don't want to sound negative but no good going into it all roses round the cottage door. Smallholding is bloody hard work.
Most people start off in a large static caravan while premises are made habitable..........lurvely in minus freezing bum on toilet seat weather............ so be prepared.
HTh
Mandy

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:53 pm »
Mandy that sounds like my house now! And don't forget the long hard hours for little return except good food.

wildgeese

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »
What is your present situation, Juno, and what are the possibilities or plans to date?

The biggest problems with building anything are the Planning Dept. and money, in that order. Alternative building methods tend to make the first problem worse; I'm not sure how much they help with the second problem; I think building ordinarily may not be much more expensive if you can put in most of the labour.

Any particular reason for wanting an alternative method?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:54:11 pm »
Some of the low cost eco houses which have been built are wonderful though, so I can see why someone would hanker after them.  I'm thinking of the 'hidden in the woods' kind with a sod roof, but realistically as everyone says you need commitment and a whole lot of hard work.  We are very lucky to live in a cottage built many years ago from local stone, which was itself recycled from a local castle - no castle now, just several houses dotted around with interesting stonework ;D)  Stone is my favourite building material because you can huff and puff as hard as you like but you won't blow it down.  It is also warm in winter, once the wood burner has warmed up the walls, and cool in summer. It also blends very nicely into the background.
Juno - there is a better way of living and you are going the right way about making a start, by finding out as much as you can about your chosen way before you kick the job.  Once you have done that you are on your own.  What many people do, as we did, is to carry on working for a while as you get set up, until you reach the point where you may be able to manage without any income at all.  More practically, you will almost certainly always need to have some income, even just to pay the rates  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:35 pm »

Hi Juno.....In a world where were often seen to moan and groan about things were unhappy about (but don't change)…Its refreshing to see your addressing it good on you!!…..Its all in the planning, research all your options and avenues that may be available don't be put off by negative responses you receive, just take it on board…….Everyone's personal and financial circumstances are different so no doubt you will get varied responses with your post….However if it's a change of lifestyle your looking for that will improve your wellbeing and happiness keep focused plan well and then go for it...….We were in the same boat a few years back it took us 5 years to plan. Same old story work commitments holding us back from doing things we wanted to do on a very simple level. That's all we wanted a very simple life and have the time to enjoy it….. Well we sold our home almost 2 years ago, gave up our jobs and went travelling for a year returning to the UK in October 2010. We managed to buy this place shortly after returning and moved in on Christmas Eve…………..Simple life well we have it now, the barn down the garden is in better condition than the house most folk would have knocked this place down, but partner and I have never been happier living in it....... And yes we have to watch our pennies more so now than ever before as we are self funding from our house sale for the time being...….. Having said that its amazing just how much you save when you know its going to cost you to replace it!.

Anyhow I could go on but after reading this back I think I've said enough already ::)…..sorry about that but I'm fairly passionate about lifestyle changes.

Good luck with your adventure

Dave

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:35 am »
Juno, if you want to experience a few alternative lifestyles and building types to see what seems to suit you, have a look at WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms.)  You can go and help people on their holding in exchange for bed and board; you'd meet a lot of very different and mostly wonderful people and see and learn a lot.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:09:30 am »
Before taking the plunge permanently, consider renting your own property and then renting the nearest you can get to your dream. 

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:21 am »
Thankyou for all your replies i have been both spurred on and

I am single (loads of reasons) but have been for a while have my own place work full time various animals, chickens, ponies, sheep etc. i intend to finish my four bed house (noose) now the kids have left and dramatically downsize, i have been looking around and it is very difficult to fiind a suitable 2 bed place with acres, they all seem to be big houses !! so i decided i would like to build my own and if i was doing that it might as well be something 'organic' hobbit looking with as much covered outdoor space as indoor space.
I will have some funds from the sale of my house but do intend to continue to work for some time after 'the move' so possibly still be mortgaged
i am a way off and stilll investigating the different materials that can be used to build, i really like the idea of 'no or limited foundations' and harking back to a basic life on 1 level with as little 'effect' as possible

I will have a look at the willing workers on organic farms sounds very interesting

Thanks All

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:17 am »
Juno, I read an article a while back about an eco estate being built in Ireland. It was really good, because the website had links to lots of altertive buildings. I remember looking at a cob house manufacturer- and his houses were beautiful! I will try and find the site for you.

Beth

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:09 am »
Here we go, found it at last.

http://www.greenmoves.com/greendevs/index.php?i=18 This is the development in Ireland. Here is some of the individual houses people are building http://www.thevillage.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=5

And here is the Cob house website I found http://www.buildsomethingbeautiful.com/

Beth

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:51 am »
Thanks Beth, sounds just what i want x i will go and have a look now

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:05:04 pm »
Keep posted Juno, we have some seriously unusual buildings here on our smallholding - will post you some photos by weekend, inspiring and great fun.  Keep smiling, it takes a lifetime to get there.. ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 12:42:11 pm »
Photos at last, but by attachment - not sure how to get them up on the screen, apologies - hope they are of some benefit - all made by non-architects and with bits and pieces found or local - cheap and cheerful!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS