Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shetland ewe who is being a bad mummy  (Read 2149 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
shetland ewe who is being a bad mummy
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:21:57 am »
we had a first timer who lambed saturday morning - she looked like she had od on coffee after the event!  She is now very protective of the lamb but wont yet let it feed and we have therefore had to milk her and bottle feed lamb and thankfully she is doing well (fingers crossed) question:

The lamlac packets i think are based on commercial breeds when stating how much in 24 hours I cant imagine giving her two pints - she is after all tiny!

How much to give smaller breeds?  she has been taking 100m a time and about 5 feeds a day so is this enough?  Also I give her the ewe milk first and top her up with lamlac - is this ok?  and if so would that alter the amount she takes ie is the ewe milk richer?

Thanks for any replies

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: shetland ewe who is being a bad mummy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:09 pm »
Thanks WG as ever sound advice - I am hoping that by continuing to milk the ewe and feed it to the litlle one (who the girls have named lucy) nature will eventually take over - sahe is also in a pen next to another ewe who lambed yesterday and seems a much better mummy so maybe they will do some talking to each other?!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS