Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe who has lost her lamb  (Read 3344 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
ewe who has lost her lamb
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:24:06 am »
i have a first timer who looks like gave birth outside yesterday without anyone knowing - she came in with the others wasn't calling and didn't look like she had any discharge so didn't think anything was wrong.  this morning when I turned her out she was calling like mad and went off away from the others - I followed her and found the poor little thing although it was still in its bag so had no chance.

Question could I foster something onto her today if I can get a new born?  or is it best just to let her get through it in her own time?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: ewe who has lost her lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:22:54 am »
If you have ones to foster on you could try that, but if not she will get over it pretty quickly

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:32:20 am »
If you have a spare lamb i would try to foster one accross.First time mothers make good subjects for fostering and it is always better to have a new mother raise a lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:07:51 am »
As our vet says, "Better to give her a reason to live than a reason to die."  So if you can get a foster lamb, it is best for her and hopefully for you and the lamb too. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:23:38 pm »
we had four bottle fed lambs that have just been weaned and the ewe is quite happy taking them out into the field every day - no feeding though but she seems bright enough!

Thank you for all those who posted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS