Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the hamtams have arrived  (Read 4937 times)

robert waddell

the hamtams have arrived
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:03:33 pm »
as title pinky the hampshire is farrowing photos will be uploaded later           hampshire crossed with a tamworth :pig: :wave: :pig:

robert waddell

Re: the hamtams have arrived
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 02:08:32 pm »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 02:10:20 pm »
Oh how lovely, I want one
 :D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 03:57:49 pm »
Me too. They're gorgeous.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:02:09 pm »
Gorgeous!   :pig: ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:20:37 pm »
cute  :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:46:44 pm »
lovely ... and what a difference in size between them!
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »
Oooo Ginger hampshires  ;D ;D ;D
LOVELY !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »
I worked on an intensive pig unit in the 70s.  They weaned at 7 days.  The sows went from tethered dry sow stalls to tethered farrowing crates to tethered service stalls to two free-running visits to the boar to small kennels until PD-ed in pig then back to the dry sow house. Horrible horrible.  Lovely people but a horrible regime for the pigs.  To achieve these results they had a complex breeding programme involving 4 breeds.  After I'd been there a few weeks, my boss was telling a customer, "Our breeding programme involves crossing the [I won't have this right, it was too long ago, but it was something along these lines] Cotswold with the Landrace, then the progeny with the New Hampshire and the gilts from that are put to the Large White.  And since Sally has been here, we also keep the pretty ones."

On one occasion I had carried a female piglet into their bungalow and along to his wife's bedroom (where she was ill in bed) to get her support to keep the beautiful pink-and-ginger with faint black blotches as a breeder.  Your third-from-the-left is a ringer for her!  :D

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:59:27 am »
Lovely piglets, glad they wont be kept in the same way as Sally experienced.  Lovely story Sally but so glad that tethering is lo longer legal in EU.  (I hope).

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:30:47 am »
the breeding aspect of keeping any livestock is always an education   with this Hampshire it was her last chance of getting in pig (if not she would have been culled
she is slightly larger than the boar and older, her litter sister has already farrowed and back in pig to the Hampshire she just would not let him come near her (when in season and there is no pure semen for Hampshire's)    we were a bit disappointed with the colouring of the hamlops (they have a predominance of the lop colouring   with the erect ears of the Hampshire
Lillian's face was a treat when the first ginger popped out      she had 9 in total the first one was dead born   then six born alive  followed later by another dead one (after the cleaning) followed with another dead one this along with another bit of cleaning
weights    the black and white ones weigh around the 4lbs mark with the Ginger's  just on the 2lbs
there is another breeder that is contemplating the same cross      it would be interesting to recross the Ginger's to see if they would breed true
sally did your boss let you keep the ringer :pig:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »
lovely ... and what a difference in size between them!

I was just going to say that - the look cute :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »
The cute piglet lived, yes.  Though in truth it was not a great life I was condemning her to, eh.   :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 08:51:40 pm »
The ginger and white ones are just toooooo cute. :)

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »
is that an advance sale  rosemary? :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS