Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paperwork  (Read 5028 times)

arusse23

• Joined May 2011
Paperwork
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:56 am »
What paperwork should I expect to receive with new GOS piglets?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Paperwork
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
At first you will have an AML movement licence, you need to send the top copy to your local trading standards.
Other than that nothing. If you have bought pedigree registered GOS you will get their pedigree papers in 2 or 3 weeks from the BPA. Check with the person you bought them off. If they are not pedigree you will get nothing at all. If the breeder says they are 'pure' you will still get nothing they must be from pedigree parents and registered with the BPA to get paperwork.
See GOS website for lots of info on GOS pigs
HTH
Mandy :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:38:08 am »
What are their bloodlines (sorry always very nosy when it comes to GOS)

arusse23

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 02:14:20 pm »
Thats the thing....my sister bought them and only recieved the movement licence. All other information is verbal and limited to their age. If I need any other info I have to email this guy, what info should i request?

1 - bloodline?
2 - D.O.B?
3 - Vaccinations?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 05:30:42 pm »
all of the above plus worming and if she bought them as pedigree she needs them to be registered asap.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:11 am »
You need to ask the breeder for his HDL, if he doesn't know what one is your pigs are not pedigree and you'll get nothing.
If he has a HDL (this is 3 letters) ask if the pigs you bought were birth notified (ie got a birth certificate from the BPA) if they did and you are keeping them for breeding/showing you can ask the breeder to register them (ie get them a passport) and you will then get paperwork thro from the BPA, stating you as owner and their unique pedigree number.
The paperwork will also tell you what line you have bought, DOB and a bit of family tree but you should already know the parentage from the breeder.
If you bought them just to fatten all this doesn't matter and the movement licence is all you need, its only if you want to keep them to show or breedthat they need to be registered.
Again visit the GOS website fro more info www.oldspots.org.uk
At the GOS club we're very interested in people who are purporting to sell pedigree GOS and they turn out not to be so.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:00:10 am »
hello Mandy i am with you on this issue       and it appears it is more widespread than  some would believe
if it happens once it is once to often :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 10:36:10 am »
We've had a spate of this recently people offering 'pure' GOS for sale, people buy them thinking they've got pedigree pigs and then the ess aitch one tee hits the fan when they don't get any paperwork or want to register piglets their 'pure' gilt has had!!! ::) and they come onto the club and want us to do something about it which we can't.
All we can do is to warn people to look at what they're buying and ask the right kind of questions. Any pedigree breeder will be happy to talk pigs & bloodlines all day long and help with the red tape ;D
Just hope this ladies pigs turn out to be the real McCoy.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:20:15 am »
aye and when you cant help them you are all the bad ones    especially now that GOS has protected status every body wants in on the action
if only they would ask a genuine breeder first before committing after all this is actually fraud :o

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:05 am »
There are 2 sides to this.  I used to sell birth notified pigs, which I would register if suitable and if sold for breeding.  A customer who was also a friend bought 4 pigs from two litters.  Two of which were good enough to be registered, which I offered to do as an extra for the cost of the paperwork.  My friend was adamant that she did not want registered pigs.  Felt the BPA were a waste of time etc.  9 months later she demanded her papers.  She and another member of the BPA actually broke into my personal account on the BPA and made an attempt to register the two gilts themselves.  I had "killed off" all unregistered pigs from those litters by this time, so they were unable to do so.

I just want to make it clear its not always the breeder.  Also another difficulty is making buyers aware of the difference between birth notified and registered.  My understanding is that all birth notified pigs are pure bred, but only registered pigs are pedigree.  Can anyone confirm or correct this for me.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:51 am »
Hi HM
What you say is true about people changing their minds!
As far as i'm concerned the term 'pure bred' should be banned it causes so much confusion. It is a term used by those purporting to breed pedigree stock but without paying for any of the paperwork and red tape that goes with it. A phrase used & abused especially with GOS. A breeder local to me has a pedigree boar but his sows are not but he claims they are 'pure bred', he advertises in the local smallholder forum/magazine selling 'pure bred weaners' & 'pure bred GOS pork'. I've already had to break the news to an ususpecting sole who bought a gilt from him that it can never be registered.
For me a birth note ia equivalent to a birth ceritficate and proves the parents of piglets were both pedigree. Registration for me is the equivalent of a passport which proves the provenance of the pig, that it is pedigree and that it is deemed suitable for breeding & showing.

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:35:33 am »
hh was the incident reported to the BPA and what action if any followed
it should be the breeder that registers the pedigree stock
yes it does happen (buying birth notified weaner's then changing there mind and wanting them to be registered) :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:14 pm »
Mandy is spot on (sorry - no pun intended!). Birth notified means simply that the parents were registered as pedigree. Pedigree registration of individual piglets is the next step - but only if appropriate, i.e. if the breeder confirms they conform to the breed standard.

I'm sure we've all had people coming back to us asking for the "meat" pigs (gilts) they bought six months ago to be registered as pedigree because they have got attached to them. That is why I always sell two boar pigs to complete newcomers, so they know they won't be able to hang onto them.

My answer, when anyone asks me to register a meat pig, is always no. If I sell something for meat, then it is because I have ruled it out as far as breeding is concerned. It will have had something wrong, some kind of unwanted characteristic, that made it not suitable.

It's always difficult reminding someone at a later date that they got what they paid for, but the truth is, pedigree breeders are trying to keep up the standard of our respective breeds - and, in some cases, to improve the overall standards.

Unfortunately, some breeders - whether for financial gain or through ignorance of/disregard for the breed standard - will register absolutely everything in a litter. The result is that sub-standard pigs enter the breeding pool and eventually pass on their imperfections potentially far and wide. All very sad.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS