Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to Read?  (Read 2459 times)

hodgepodge

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Jerangle, NSW, Australia
What to Read?
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:46:15 pm »
Hi,  I'm still in the research phase of buying/fattening/loving real live pigs and have bought two books -  Starting with Pigs: A Beginners Guide by Andy Case  and Get Started In Pig Keeping: Teach Yourself by Tony York.  Are there any others people would recommend?  I'm really interested in the planning out of the paddocks, and the fencing to go with it.
We live on 30 acres but I want to pretend we only have 10-12 and fence accordingly.
Also, in these modern times what websites are considered informative?

Thanks,
HP
Jerangle, NSW, Australia

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: What to Read?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:14:52 am »
If you're interested in pigs, Oaklands Pigs has a book he sells through his website, and my Haynes Pig Manual has just been published. An invaluable website for pig info is www.thepigsite.com  Brilliant reference resource.
Good luck with your plans. Drop me a message if you have any pig queries.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:18:39 am »
A Haynes Manual for pigs!?  That sounds superb!  (please tell me everything is graded with spanners for difficulty, and that "re-assembly is the reverse of removal"?  ;D)

Another vote from me for the Oaklands Pigs book by the way. It really does cover everything with a high level of detail.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations :)

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Andy1982

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »
Great to read anything pig related,john seymours books are fantastic,but nothing will prepare you for the jump in and swim as our first interaction with our 3 pigles was to chase them down the drive into the locals fields and one even made it into the quarry a ways up the road.

A ripped set of clothes,some hide and seek round the house and 2 hours later we had them all and one, two ozzy fellas were kind enough to corner one and stuck it in the back of thier van for us as we were not allowed into the quarry.

It's all good fun.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:03:41 am »
pig books by Richard Lutwyche are very informative and he has lots of experience on them, and has been writing them for years

hodgepodge

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »
Thank you all.  I'll be stocking up on all and utilising the free postage offer I have to australia!
I'm half way through reading andy case's book and find myself googling for any weaners for sale ;D
Jerangle, NSW, Australia

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:37 am »
hodgepodge, you don't happen to watch Bones on television do you?  Love the name.

hodgepodge

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:41 pm »
hodgepodge, you don't happen to watch Bones on television do you?  Love the name.

:) Thanks, but no. It's more a reflection on the mish mash of things we want to do with our 30 acres, and the way our self building projects normally turn out  :D
Jerangle, NSW, Australia

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS