Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chutney & Jam Receipes  (Read 9891 times)

HappyHippy

Chutney & Jam Receipes
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:04:25 am »
Hi everyone,

Just thought these might be of interest- there are a few which makes a long post - sorry!
And if that's not enough for you, here's a handy website
http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0291p.html

Apple & Cranberry ChutneyMakes 4 x 500g jars
Prep 20 min  Cook 1 hr 10 min

1kg / 2lb 4 oz cooking apples, peeled and cut into small chunks
500g / 1 lb 2 oz eating apples, peeled and chopped into large chunks
450g / 1lb onions, sliced
50g / 2 oz fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp peppercorns
500g / 1 lb 2 oz granulated sugar
250 ml cider vinegar
500g / 1 lb 2 oz cranberries

Place all ingredients except cranberries in a large heavy-based pan, then gently heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 50 min, stirring regularly until the apples and onions are tender, the mixture has thickened and no watery juice remains.
Add the cranberries, then cook  for a further 10 min or so until softened but not burst.
Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars and seal. Store unopened in a cool dark place. The chutney will keep for up to 6 months, refrigerate on opening.

To sterilise jars wash in hot soapy water and dry in a low oven or run through a dishwasher. Bottle the chutney while the jars are still hot.

Beetroot Relish

Serves 4
Prep 10 min  Cook 40 min      Will keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks

1 tbsp olive oil
2 large shallots, diced
500g /1lb 2 oz raw beetroot, grated
10 walnut halves, chopped
2 large jalepino peppers (about 3oz)
4 large tomatoes, deskinned & chopped
1 tbsp malt vinegar
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
handful chopped parsley

Heat oil in a pan, add shallots, then cook for 5 mins. Add a good grind of pepper and some salt. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the parsley. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cook the mixture slowly for 40 min, stirring often so it doesn’t stick. Leave to cool then stir in the parsley.

Minty Apple Relish

Makes four 7oz jars
Prep 15 min  Cook 35 min

6 cox’s apples, about 900g (2lb) peeled, cored and chopped.
1 red onion, finely chopped
75g (3oz) sultanas
200ml (1/3 pint) cider vinegar
125g (4oz) light brown soft sugar
½ tsp each ground ginger and allspice
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint

Put the apples in a heavy based pan with the onion, sultanas, ¼ tsp salt, 100ml cider vinegar, and 50ml water. Cook gently for 15 min until onions and apples have softened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Add the sugar, ginger, allspice and the remaining vinegar, then simmer gently for a further 20 min until the liquid is syrupy. Stir in the mint and spoon the relish into four 200g (7oz) sterilised jars.
Top each jar with a wax disc and seal. The relish will keep in the fridge unopened for up to one month. Once opened use within 2 weeks.

Orange & Walnut Mincemeat

Makes about 1.5kg (enough for around 50 mince pies)
Prep 20 min plus 1 hour soaking – no cook

200g / 8oz each of raisins, sultanas and currants
juice of 1 orange
6 tbsp grand marnier or cointreau
175g / 6 oz walnuts, toasted & roughly chopped
200g / 8 oz unsalted butter, melted
175g / 6oz candied orange peel, finely chopped
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
200g light muscovado sugar
175g / 6 oz freshly grated bramley apple

Soak the raisins, sultanas & currants in the orange juice & booze for 1 hour or so until all the liquid is soaked up.
Now mix in all remaining ingredients.
Spoon into sterilised jars, seal tightly, then store in the fridge until ready to use.

Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 months

Mary Berry’s Christmas Chutney

Makes about 6lbs
Takes approx 2 ½ hours

900g tomatoes
3 red peppers, 1 green pepper, 1 large aubergine around 900g total weight
700g onions, peeled & finely chopped (by hand or food processor)
4 fat cloves garlic, crushed
350g granulated sugar
300ml/ ½ pint white wine vinegar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper (or less if not wanting VERY hot)

Peel the tomatoes – prick them with a sharp knife, place in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for a few seconds then drain and cover with cold water. The skins will now come away easily.
Chop the tomatoes and aubergine and deseed and chop the peppers. Put in a large, heavy bottomed pan with the onions and garlic and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, lower the heat and gently simmer for around an hour, stirring occaisionally, until tender.
Tip the sugar, vinegar, salt, coriander seeds, paprika & cayenne into the pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to boil for 30 minutes or so until the mixture achieves a chunky consistency and the surplus watery liquid has evaporated. Take care towards the end of the cooking time to continue stirring so that the chutney doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pan.
Ladle the chutney into sterilised jars and top with paper jam covers. Seal the jars while still hot and leave to mature for at least a month in a cool, dark place.

Pineapple, Fig & Ginger Chutney

Makes about 3lb
Prep 20 min   Cook 40-45 min

1 large pineapple, about 1kg or 400g/ 14oz prepared pineapple, roughly chopped
500g / 1lb 2 oz bramley apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
5cm piece of root ginger, finely chopped.
1 red onion, finely chopped
140g / 5oz dried, ready to eat figs, chopped
2 tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
500ml cider vinegar
400g / 14oz light muscovado sugar

Tip the pineapple into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Tip into a large, wide pan with the apples, ginger, onion, figs, spices, vinegar and 2 tsp salt. Bring to the boil, stirring, then boil for 10 min until the apples are softened.
Add the sugar & stir to dissolve. Simmer for 20 -30 min, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is thickened.
Pot into warm, sterilised jars, seal & label.
Will keep for 6 months.

For a chilli kick;
Pineapple, date & Chilli Chutney
Replace the figs with ready to eat, stoned dates and replace the fresh ginger with 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped.

Sweet Chilli Jam

Makes 4 small jars      Cost per jar £2.35
Prep 20 min   Cook 1 hour

8 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
10 red chillies, roughly chopped
finger sized piece of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
8 garlic cloves, peeled
400g can of cherry tomatoes
750g / 1 lb 10 oz golden caster sugar
250ml / 9fl oz red wine vinegar

Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger & garlic into a food processor, them whiz until very finely chopped. Scrape into a heavy bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 50 min, stirring occasionally.
Once the jam is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 mins more, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t catch and burn. It should now look like thick, bubbling lava.
Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely.
Keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard – refrigerate once opened.

Enjoy !!!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Chutney & Jam Receipes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »
I think Ill have to have a go at the Xmas chutney too, although I cant use as much garlic as OH cant stomach much. I may even have a go over the weekend. Good excuse to stink the house out again!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:09 pm »
Thanks for resurrecting this post.  :thumbsup:
I am going to give some of these a go.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »
The beetroot and Xmas chutney receipes are my fail safes  :thumbsup:
Enjoy ladies  :yum:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »
Chutney for me is always the option when I have stuff that needs using up - so I don't tend to use recipes, as they rarely require what I happen to have! It's also a way of creating cheap Christmas presents (in years like this one, when I have time but no money...). So at the moment it's been green tomato chutney, using onions (from the garden), out-of-date raisins (of which I have a lot), ditto cider vinegar, some leftover icing sugar and whatever spices happened to be in the cupboard... ;D So far it's always been edible.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:26:24 pm »
Quite right too Ina. Im sure that most of us follow recipes unnecessarily, and lets face it, everyone's taste is different. Im going to have another go at picalilli this year. The last time I made it, it was a bit strong, so that sauce will have to be a bit more diluted this time. Ill do a sweet one too as I prefer it to be honest.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 03:30:23 pm »
I'm not saying that I don't read recipes - they give me lots of nice ideas! I had been wondering whether I could do some kind of chutney with beetroot - reading the above, I think I might have a go. My recipe books only mentioned pickled beetroot.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:51 pm »
Just bookmarked this page. Thanks HH  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 08:16:19 am »
Mammyshaz,
How do you bookmark a page?
Sally

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:32:49 am »
I use an iPad, and there's a box to click on to bookmark items so the page is stored as a picture on my home screen.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:13:39 am »
I guess I need to put an iPad on the christmas list then  :roflanim: 

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »
I guess I need to put an iPad on the christmas list then  :roflanim:

My ordinary, quite old PC has that right on the top of the screen too... Might depend on the browser you are using? (Don't know - I'm an IT idiot and only guessing here!)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:32:54 am »
Ina, I do have a favourite places. I guess this is the same as a bookmark but never thought of storing TAS pages there.
thanks
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS