Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I need planning permission for grazing??  (Read 31260 times)

urban farmer

• Joined Sep 2009
Do I need planning permission for grazing??
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:14:43 pm »
We are in the process of trying to buy a house which has an acre of paddock adjoining it bought from the neighbouring farmer.  The current owners have kept sheep on it but we would like to graze our horse on it and erect a stable.  I am aware that the land has an "agricultural holding number" on it - does anyone know if we would need to apply for a change of land use please and how we would go about it??

any help very gratfeully received

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Do I need planning permission for grazing??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »
Just don't tell them - you may want to have other animals at a later date, and there are so many more planning regulations for  horse related developments.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:18:00 pm »
Yes you need change of use to graze a horse on agri land and you can't put a stable on without it. You cam try to put up a field shelter but that will very probably attract attention I'm afraid. Thing is you need to decide if you want to go for it and see what happens or do it up front. We chanced pur arm but got snitched on by nosy neighbour so had to apply.. It took 2 years of hassle but we did get it.
HTH
Helen

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
depends what base  you have also and if its a temp stable as i have seen a few people  put hardcore down as a compact base then in the summer mover the the shelter/stable around field as a movable shelter so look for the loopholes and make sure its not a permanent structure to need planning permission

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 04:46:47 pm »
I put hardcore down With a moveable shelter but different councils react differently and I got grief. A field shelter isn't meant to need Planning but lots of councils are difficult about them . Even with a field shelter only if grazing horses you have to change the use. Crazy but true.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:55:12 pm »
You dont need a change of use to let a horse graze a field.

You will need permission to erect a permanent stable - but not a moveable shelter.

I have been told by mates that if its for the health of an animal - ie it has laminitas or something that you can erect a shelter for the health and wellbeing of your horse. - rememebr you can be jailed for letting an animal die - but not for planning requirements so the one overrides the other.

In essence its all a minefield - put stable up on skids, see if anyone complains and sort it out later.  The moment you get the council involved you have another 30 people who also dont know what the law is.

Baz

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:33:24 pm »
Baz I can assure you I was required to change the use from agricultural land to equestrian use in order to graze the horses on it. Regardless of stables I had to do this, NWLeicester Council insisted.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:13 pm »
Baz I can assure you I was required to change the use from agricultural land to equestrian use in order to graze the horses on it. Regardless of stables I had to do this, NWLeicester Council insisted.
Did you ask them first, Helen, or did you go ahead and was reported?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »
I went ahead and was reported Annie. I was advised by the council unless I could prove the horses were agricultural animals ie used for ploughing etc. Then I had to change the use. It's totally crazy but that's the rules..

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:25:09 pm »
I've been holding off posting in this one ... but .... speaking as a farmer ...  :farmer:  it is galling to see good agricultural land go out of production.  It is galling to see farms getting broken up and sold off in lots; one always admires farmers who won't take this route but you can completely understand why others do take the land agent's advice.  And you can't blame the people who bought the house-plus-10-acres for wanting to keep horses on it.  Or those who bought the barn-plus-3-acres for wanting to make a garden out of some of it.  Nor yet the people who bought 20 bare acres for trying to get pp for a small home so they can make a go of a smallholding.  And then a shed, and a garden ...

But in parts of the country it is now not practical to farm.  I worry that we will lose too much of our productive ground and should we ever need to be more self-sufficient as a nation (which I do believe will happen) it is a worry that we simply won't be able to muster the land to do it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »
I hear you Sally. I am trying to grow veg and raise pigs too so I am also using the land as well as plonking  my equines on it but the council don't make it easy. I've also re dug the old pond to try to restore that and I'm waiting for the complaints on that..

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 11:03:17 pm »
i think the answer to this may vary according to where you are located. i was told by my planning department (Angus) that i definately didnt need to change the use, or obtain planning permission to graze horses on our fields which were previously deemed agricultural. But and thats a BIG BUT...i would need permssion to RIDE in my own fields.... my neighbour is allowed to ride in my fields under the right to roam (Countryside Act), and i hers.....but we are not allowed to ride in our own respective fields !!!! GEt that one !!

Helencus, I would also wonder what your council would say if you were planning to have sheep and horses rotating or mixed together ....lots of folks do!! If you need to change from agri to equestrian to graze horses, do you need to do the reverse to graze sheep...and then would you have to do it every time you rotate,  LOL!!! Also, are they thinking equestrian, as in a livery yard, as opposed to private?
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 11:11:02 pm »
Interestingly you can actually use any land for agricultural use so no need to change if you rotate sheep with horses but you have to be careful how long you use as agricultural land ie graze sheep again as you can lose the equestrian usage. I think I have to apply for permission to ride in my fields also but I've lost the will to live on it all now so just do it and sod the consequences!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 11:24:19 pm »
It seems if you have plenty of acreage, planning is much easier to get, and especially if its for agricultural use.  A horse is classed as a domestic pet, and interestingly, if you have room in your garden, you can put up stables for your "pet without permission.

As I keep other livestock, I have a holding number, but I do keep a fair number of ponies too.  I prefer to keep my agricultural status, and have never applied for it to be changed over to equine - if I want stables, or a menage, then I would have to do this to get permission - and even after changing, they may not give permission!!

I ride in my fields, and also carriage drive, round cones etc.  But I know some people in our area who have been stopped from leaving show jumps up in the fields.

If you only want to graze the fields then don't ask, and unless you are in green belt, a mobile field shelter may be the answer - so long as its  open fronted, no hard standing, and you can move it if the council ask.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 08:23:00 am »
Helencus,   You DO NOT need Planning consent to graze horses...it is an agricultural activity.   I think you have been given spurious info by a 'jobs worth' at your Council.

Further more, you do not need planning consent for a mobile field shelter as it is for animal welfare... your sheep can also use it.  You are entitled to close the front by means of a gate.. again on welfare grounds... this does not change it to a stable.

This above is Planning Law which you can read on line.  If you access a document entitled 'Planning for Farmers'  there is a large section on how to deal with matters on equestrian issues.  How do you think farmers deal with liveries... they only have to apply for change of use where land becopmes dedicated to horses and no ohter use.
Grazing is agricultural.

It is true some Councils have become sniffy on riding on your land but isually have to back down when challenged about it.

There are plenty of Council Officials who try the heavyweight approach because they are going to earn money from your planning application, but why apply iof it sis not necessary.?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS