Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solar panels  (Read 17545 times)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
Solar panels
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:23:50 am »
Morning
Got some guy coming round next Thur's 5th to do a survey to see if or roof is the right spec to put panels on. This is brought on because of the buy back scheme. Just wondering have any of the people on this site got them or know any thing about them. We will be buying these, its not a rent a roof thing. So the outlay is quite large 12 to 15k. The firm reckon I will get back about £100 a month, so it will take about 10 yrs to pay for themselves
rob
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:48:52 am by bucketman »
I am going to live the dream

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Solar panels
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:24 am »
Yes I have signed up for something similar am just waiting for permission from the parks to say I dont need permission, if you get what I mean - normally takes around six months they think.

My only concern is whether my roof will last as long as the panels :)

All in all it sounds like a great investment as long as the roof doesnt go wrong or the panels fail in any way.

The company I am using uses an insurance backed deposit scheme as they do want the money up front.

Ta

Barry

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:00:04 am »

Yeah, I'd like to put PV panels on the roof, too, but can't afford the outlay.

Our house runs east-west so one whole roof is south facing - ought to be ideal.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:17:58 am »
We looked into the various options including wind turbine (they're popping up all over the place round here) but decided in the end that we won't live long enough to get back the outlay and that it will be cheaper and as effective to improve the insulation in our house.  We both hate double glazing but have decided to go for it on the north side of the house.  For a pv array we would have to get our lovely slate roof completely rebuilt before it could take the weight, and we wouln't be able to see it afterwards for the ugly big panels.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:45:27 pm »
I've had one quote, awaiting two more - £12K so far, but the firm I bought my log burner from want to get into this market so I have given them the quote so they can possibly come up with a better one.  They might well outlive me too, but £1000 income a year ain't bad, and the value of the house should improve.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:58:10 pm »
We have a 4kW PV array on our barn. Got an interest free loan over 8 years to cover cost of installation plus income form every kW generated. Can recommend SolarTechnologies, Tom Morley, in Edinburgh. Sun keep shining  ;D

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:35:17 pm »
I know the out lay is big will either hit are rainy day fund or get a loan on the house (luckily no mortgage on house at the moment ) So it seems good plus its GREEN. So the plan get a mortgage over 10 years pay it of with money we would put aside to retire then for 15 more years after that get £100+ a month pension. If all that makes sense
rob

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:39:18 pm »
I am not sure its 'green' if you look at how they are produced, from what and where - but it is an attractive investment with the subsidy if you have the initial money to outlay.

Ta

Baz

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:20 pm »
If you've got an old property they may open cans of worms of things wrong with your roof you didn't know about - lots of roofs are just not strong enough structurally to cope with the loading - but then they've probably been tested by snow this past couple of winters so I would imagine any signs of stress would show up now.  Make sure the survey is sound and not borderline.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:17:23 pm »
Yes - but snow AND solar panels may just prove too much!

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:09 am »
The people i spoke to said "if the panels added more than 15% to the weight of the roof they would sell me them. The guy coming round will only do survey. Then pass info on to sales team and we will take it from there. Will ring them and ask if they think we will need planning. the bungalow we live doesn't have any shadows on the roof and was built in the 60s all the tiles look sound to me. So fingers crossed should be OK. the quote we got says it will cost about £14k and we should get back about £1400 per year
rob

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 11:05:31 am »
The people i spoke to said "if the panels added more than 15% to the weight of the roof they would sell me them. The guy coming round will only do survey. Then pass info on to sales team and we will take it from there. Will ring them and ask if they think we will need planning. the bungalow we live doesn't have any shadows on the roof and was built in the 60s all the tiles look sound to me. So fingers crossed should be OK. the quote we got says it will cost about £14k and we should get back about £1400 per year
rob
Don't just get one quote - there are loads of people doing these.  My quote(and only one so far as I'm waiting for the others to come) was £12k and £1k annual return, so they vary a great deal - mine is a fully south facing 4 bedroom bungalow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 11:20:07 am »
We are rebuilding our house in order to make it more energy efficient (it would be impossible - based on it's current design and build - to make any effective changes to improve efficiency in the long term and the house is ugly and too small anyway!!).

We will have a ground source heat pump to supply underfloor heating, very efficient glazing and insulation, solar panels on the roof of the house and 8kW of PVs on the roof of the workshop.

We will NEVER get our money back but that's not why I'm doing it.

I want peace of mind with regard to energy and heating and I expect - when we come to sell our house in 20 - 30 years time (when we're too old and arthritic to run it to its full potential), properties that are self-sufficient in energy production may well fetch a premium.

However, just in case I am increasing my collection of cute little oil lamps  :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 02:05:29 pm »
However, just in case I am increasing my collection of cute little oil lamps  :D
Glad it's not just me, then. Not oil lamps but other non-electric alternatives to what we use now, like hand-cranked mincers.

I was reading-up about PV panels recently and they do use some pretty exotic elements to make them work. Can't remember the specifics but I do recall the article said that if people went in to it in a large scale way then pretty soon the planet's reserves of some of these elements would be exhausted.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:07 pm »
We have photvoltaic tiles on our roof. They are in a sheet but meld in extremely well with the slates. AS well as being attractively belended in they are also not as heavy as solas panels

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS