Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the small print  (Read 2480 times)

banbh

• Joined Jan 2010
  • county galway
the small print
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:57:15 pm »
I'm on my second pair of pigs and I'm using the same feeding routine that worked very well last time.

I mix pellets with straights (rolled barley, oats usually) and scraps. 2@ 15 minute meals a day.

The pellets we get here are Red Mills (Kilkenny) weaner pellets and finisher pellets. They've gone
up in price to €15 for a 25kg bag, which is a lot dearer than straight feed which is why I mix it.

I looked at the small print on the weaner pellet bag the other week and saw..

"PRODUCED FROM GM SOYA BEANS" - I've no problem with that personally

but also...

'IE (SIC) TIME OF MANUFACTURE THE FOLLOWING WAS/WERE ADDED:-
IS G200 (GROWTH PROMOTER) CONTRIBUTING 20MG/KG AVIL AMYCIN"

Now I'm not sure what THAT means exactly so I googled AVIL AMYCIN and was
rather shocked to find that it is an antibiotic.

The line above does not appear on the finisher pellets.

No wonder my pigs look clear-eyed and healthy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: the small print
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:24 am »
I for one will be checking the small print in the morning...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:29:02 am »
Organic feed may cost a lot more but you know that it is, at least, G.M. free and doesn't include anti-biotics! You can always charge more for your pork if you have fed organic feed and kept them on artificial free land!
You can also eat the meat with an easy mind.

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
Hi banbh have you considered making your own mix and completely cutting out the pellets. Thats what we have done and saved a lot of money. We were buying in rolled barley from the feed merchant for 270 euro a tonne. We are now hoping to get wheat off the combine and get it rolled here ourselves. This should work out cheaper again. We then add roughly 20 percent soya to the weaners and lactating sows feed. We add beat pulp pellets soaked to the finishers and dry sows feed. This helps to keep the costs down and we know exactly whats going into the feed. You can even cut out the soya by replacing them with beans if you know of a farmer around you who would sell you some.

Regards Patrick

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »
Are you talking about a standard sow roll/nut/pellet or a grower or finisher? You shouldn't find antibiotics in a sow feed (I never have).
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:35:55 am »
Just re-read the post and I see you're talking about weaner feed.
Get them gradually on to sow pellets. I start off with a bit of creep feed to get them interested at a few weeks old, then they go onto sow nuts and stay on them all the way through. I've seen no difference in the end product compared to rearing on grower, and it also works out a lot cheaper, too.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

banbh

• Joined Jan 2010
  • county galway
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:35:00 pm »
done that thanks TT

pat mci - very little tillage this side of galway, i'm cranking up on the rolled barley, oats and bran as a cheap enough filler.

The fishing has started so they'll be getting microwaved mackeral and pollack heads and tails for the next while.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS