Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: IDENTIFICATION AND THE LAW  (Read 9184 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
IDENTIFICATION AND THE LAW
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:19:39 pm »
Could i remind all members and guests it is AGAINST THE LAW TO MOVE BABY ANIMALS ( lambs  piglets  kids ) from the holding of birth without identification    and a licence. Learned today of piglets and a lamb moved with nothing. The UK is trying to get the rules eased and we dont need lots of small infringements.   THANK YOU
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:00:58 pm by shep53 »

robert waddell

Re: Ear tags and the law
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »
oh dear no licence did they move to premises without a cph as well  :o :o  under a year old pigglets can get a temp paint mark :wave:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:17:59 pm »
The piglets yes cph , the lamb no

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:41 pm »
then as Lillian says, the piglets are fine to be moved on a temporary mark, as long as it is stated on the AML2 form...
Little Blue

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: IDENTIFICATION AND THE LAW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »
 Yes fine under 1 yr

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:15:49 pm »
Aren't most piglets eaten before they get to 1 year?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:24:34 pm »
yes

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:57 pm »
There are variations to the law remember- orphan lambs can be moved with no tags etc up to a week of age as long as it in order for them to be moved to someplace where there is milk for them etc.

Beth

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:46:41 pm »
CONFUSED  :dunce: ive read the RPA SITE twice and spoken to a friend from animal health whose job is tag legislation ,and cant find any derogation  help ?

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:59:47 am »
Don't talk to me about the law i have 5 movement books to keep and cph numbers as well ,because we rent a lot of ground, and 2 flock numbers because we moved house! it's a wonder i know where everything is. I long for the days of one movement book. plus the RPA man came and went through evey licence and book entry with a fine tooth comb,  :gloomy: :gloomy: i felt like a criminal!!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 06:22:39 pm »
THIS year i had a sheep audit all sheep counted to match movement book total, all tags purchased in the last 2yrs had to be accounted for, 50 random sheep had tags inspected. ALL sales and purcheses ,he had a list covering 2yrs from the market ,had to match in movement book then had to match pink copies of licence, then had to match 5 random receipts and all invoices from marts. Took 2 days!!!!! ???

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:19:54 am »
Oh God, I think i might have a nervous breakdown if that happens to me we always find one without an eartag they seem to loose them for the fun of it!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 05:06:11 pm »
Oh God, I think i might have a nervous breakdown if that happens to me we always find one without an eartag they seem to loose them for the fun of it!

Sounds like you might have to put a bit more pressure on when applying the tag to stop it coming adrift.

If sheep lose an eartag it has to be replaced with a red eartag (instead of the original yellow). Same number info, just a diff colour which shows the origiinal was applied and lost.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:24 am »
The tags are in well they just get ripped out sometimes we do have over 200 sheep, so we are bound to loose some every now and then i just hate the paperwork it envolves, because i have to keep over 5 movement books, everything has to be recorded and after a busy day worming tagging etc to then sit down and write it all up is a bit of a chore.......sorry big moan

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »
Could i remind all members and guests it is AGAINST THE LAW TO MOVE BABY ANIMALS ( lambs  piglets  kids ) from the holding of birth without identification    and a licence. Learned today of piglets and a lamb moved with nothing. The UK is trying to get the rules eased and we dont need lots of small infringements.   THANK YOU
special rules for lambs being taken to milk. ie caddies. plus you can't tag such a young sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS