Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: do castrated tup lambs still grow horns?  (Read 9887 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
do castrated tup lambs still grow horns?
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »
i think they do but a friend asked me today and as we dont castrate, i realised i didnt really know!  said i'd ask much cleverer people than me and get back to him LOL

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: do castrated tup lambs still grow horns?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:34:37 pm »
Mine don't. There are wee stumps that they keep knocking out during the summer (watch for flystrike on the wounds - purple spray or tar spray are good and quick), by winter they are farly flat.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:39:21 pm »
Well I'm not cleverer  :D but we have castrated - wethers grow little horns, similar in size to ewes.  If they are castrated when they are older then their horns will be proportionally bigger.  Wethers are easily confused with ewes, as a few red-faced judges have failed to discover in the show ring  :D :D :D

Interesting yours don't Anke.  The breeds we have castrated are Jacob and Hebridean (both 2 and multi-horned) , Soay and Shetland - thinking about it, the Shetlands didn't always develop horns so maybe it's to do with whether or not the ewes of that breed are horned or polled
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:43:27 pm »
Yes I think you probably have it there Fleecewife.  Swaley wethers have horns similar to the ewe lambs, crosses on Swaleys and offspring of North Country Mules and of 'Texdales' may have horns which will be larger if the lamb is left entire - in all cases the original horned breed is one where the ewe has horns.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:56:55 am »
I find that as long as they are castrated very young they don't develop horns but once the horns have started to develop they often continue to produce a horn the later they are done the greater the residual horn. ewes are hornless in ouessants.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:15:56 pm »
thanks folks, will pass your answers on.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:24:46 pm »
Well mine grow wee things early on, and I have the odd one that goes abit further (and then usually needs trimmed as it grows in an odd angle, like straight into the eye...), but almost all knock theirs off while still lambs and have a small bare patch of skin. My ewes are polled, but the interesting thing was that the Bowmont Shetland X boys had quite strong wee stumps on their head - as they also have a topknot of long wool, well hidden, and numerous bruises on my legs later....

So with crosses horns are a bit of a lottery!

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:47 am »
Hi,
   We have Wiltshire Horns and castrate early.  The boys continue to grow their horns and they are still noticably bigger than the ewes', although this is only until they go to slaughter at 6-9 months, what happens after that I couldn't really say  :-\

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »
Hi,
   We have Wiltshire Horns and castrate early.  The boys continue to grow their horns and they are still noticably bigger than the ewes', although this is only until they go to slaughter at 6-9 months, what happens after that I couldn't really say  :-\
Not a lot probably because their heads will have been chopped off and put through the grinder  :o :o  sorry.......

Maybe your wethers horns are growing bigger because Wilthsire Horns are a heavily horned breed, compared to breeds I have kept which have medium weight horns.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:35:59 pm »
I've kept a wilts on for mutton, he's 2 yrs at the moment and he looks exactly like his mum, so still plenty of horn growth but much thinner with less coils than a ram.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:32:48 pm »
Swaley wethers are for the most part indistinguishable from their sisters up to about 8-9 months.  We kept a couple on to 24 months for mutton - they had more horn than their mums but nothing like as much as their dads.  They would have been castrated at about 36 hours old.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS