Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boys vs girls  (Read 2908 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
boys vs girls
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »
does it matter whether you raise girls or castrated boys for butchering?  Any differences?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: boys vs girls
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:58:55 pm »
No difference to really think about.

Uncastrated males grow faster than females, not sure if castrated retain some of that trait.

Otherwise up to slaughter weight, boys are as easy to keep as girls.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:54 pm »
I'd agree with Oaklands, really no difference to speak of. If they've been castrated you shouldn't get taint. Gilts can sometimes be a bit of a pain depending on how early they start coming into season - this is when they're likely to break out, going looking for some lovin'  ;) and they tend to suffer piggy PMT (I think) and be a bit noisier than boars. The one obvious advantage with castrated boars is when the time comes for slaughter you're less likely to think "well, we could just keep them and let them have a litter" and chicken out of sending them  ;) cos we all have those thoughts now and again  ::) ;D
HTH
Karen x

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:29:05 am »
Thank you for the info!

I love this site!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:30:45 am »
I have a preference ! ::) I like the girls! I like that they always seem to have more of an attitude ... same with horses, I always prefer mares ... sometimes I walk down to the yard in the morning, take one look at Bella and we both know we're going to come to blows that day. It's the same with Daisy  ;D :love: Cantankerous and stroppy one minute and dribbling over you for scratches the next (My OH says she's like me  :o ;D).

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:12:53 pm »
I think that applies to most species including humans. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »
We have 3 gilt weaners this year and they certainly have more get-up-and-go than the 4 boys last year! And they are alot more vocal - they greet me with sort of chortling noises when I come up to their field. However they also insist on nibbling my legs/feet/shins/shoes which the boys never did  ;D

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 01:58:03 am »
No difference. Just rear them and enjoy them.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS