Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ouch!  (Read 1806 times)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
ouch!
« on: April 15, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »
piglets are now 4 weeks old but i have noticed the mum roxy has got a sore teat, bitten by the looks of it, not red nice and clean but a bit swollen to the other teats, anything i can put on it?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: ouch!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »
Think you should keep an eye on this - she could develop mastitis from bacteria entering through the punctures the little darlings have made in her teats.  Check her out for all the usual symptoms & give your vet a call in the morning for some advice/reassurance.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:45:54 pm »
As your piglets are still suckling putting anything on it is a bit difficult.
The two best options would be to wean the piglets or give her a course of antibiotics ie penicillin.
And "thank the Lord" that I am able to inject, as getting a Vet out to treat it would make me ill just seeing the bill.
For your own well being learn to inject, as its sow much cheaper.
Iam sure there are some good people on this site that will teach you if you asked. ;D ;D :wave:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 01:22:28 pm »
yes, we have some penecilin to pick up, no probs injecting, on close inspection this morning what i thought was a big gouge was actually a dried on piece of sawdust!!!!! note to oneself, wear your glasses more!
thanks for the advise

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 01:40:25 pm »
It happens to the best of us and is no big deal.
Happy pigging. ;D ;D :wave: :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 02:34:42 pm »
Just take the piglets away and the teat will heal up ready for the next lot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS