Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have made some decisions about the pigs...  (Read 4344 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Have made some decisions about the pigs...
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:51:52 pm »
I've been having such trouble trying to find somewhere to send Tulip. Every time I seem to find a way of getting around one problem, it creates another. So ... I've decided she's going in the freezer  :-\

This actually solves a lot of problems for us ... I didn't ever want to have any pig go to the abbatoir on it's own ... this would be the case with Bacon if they don't go together; Daisy won't need to be stressed by having a boar at home and she will be happy outside with her piglets for company; Tulip had never been as tame as Daisy and can be a bit aggressive; I don't have to wait any longer to let Daisy out with the little ones (they're getting very playful!); I've run out of pork !! :-[

So the two GOS are off on Monday morning. Daisy will be moved into a fresh paddock with the piglets. We have already sold 4 of them and will be keeping back the 3 girls ... 2 for the freezer and one for keeps. This makes it more special for me. Daisy was always "The Pig", I wasn't meant to buy her as we had 8 boars at home!! I saw her when I went to collect some ducks and she was 10 weeks old having never even seen the outside, I'm a bit of a sucker for a sob story, put her in the back of the truck and bought her home  ::) Having on of her offspring makes sense to me more than a pig I've not got a great relationship with.

The plan (I've tried to make one this time rather than being a complete idiot ::)) is that Daisy will go to the baor that is currently too busy at the end of this year, ready for piglets at the same time next year (I need to plan it around having the stables free for farrowing!), then once her daughter is old enough she will also go to a young boar and we'll use her as a breeding sow also.

How does this sound? I thought I'd feel devastated about sending off a pig I've named but I don't really have any bad feeling about it ... she's had a wonderful life with lots of wonderful treats  :D

Quick question: is it possible for pigs to self wean or should I ensure all little ones are taken away at the approproate time? :)

HappyHippy

Re: Have made some decisions about the pigs...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:02:55 pm »
That sounds like a good decision Loosey  :)
The piglet to get mated in the furture, should be fine to go to the boar between 8 and 10 months old, so might manage to go with mum - depending on the timings.
You can leave the piglets to self wean - providing Daisy isn't loosing condition. But if you have people waiting to buy piglets you could take them away from her around 8 weeks, but keep them on your holding for another week or so to make sure they're eating and coping well without mum before they go off.
Don't feel bad about Tulip, as you've said you've given her a very good life and if she was a bit aggresive at times I wouldn't have been 100% happy breeding from her either.
Take care,
Karen x

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:50:07 pm »
Sounds like a good decision Loosey.  I agree with HH, I wouldn't be happy breeding from an aggressive pig either.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »
Loosey  :wave:

I can only guess that this has been a hard decision for you - the time will come for me soon as well  :(

Just wanted to send you my support too :bouquet:

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:40:51 am »
I had to make the same decision about one of the two girls I bought.  The intention was to keep and breed from both, but Gaby was really quite aggressive with Meg and, as Karen said, it made me think I would not want to breed from her.  She might pass on that aggression, she might be aggressive with her piglets, she would certainly be aggressive with Meg's piglets and she might even be aggressive to humans when her babies were involved. 

So we took her to our local abbatoir and had our local butcher take it from there.  I was sad, of course, and could certainly not have eaten any of the pork straight away.  But by the time we did get the pork back I had grieved and was happy to eat my happy pig while giving thanks for the very happy life she had led and the joy she had given us in life.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:53:29 am »
As long as you are happy it is the right decision.  Good luck for Monday.  Don't forget to stock up with loads of bags and salt etc. for the marathon sausage, bacon ham making on collection .   

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:44:11 am »
Just wanted to add my support too, i recently had to send a barren gilt off to the butchers and it was the toughest choice i have ever had to make. Her sausages are in the freezer and i just can't bring myself to eat any yet. Cry your tears and remember she has had a good life with you and she will have a useful fitting end.
bestes Mandy  :pig:

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:54:27 am »
be brave, i think wev all bin there, your choices are right for u and thats whats important.  :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:31 am »
Thank you all for some really lovely replies  :love: I'm thoroughly happy that we've done the right thing and I'm looking forward to seeing the little ones personality as she gets older (she's our only girl!!)

This morning the two girls went off with my OH (arguements over how to load them as always. I was right, as always ;) :D). Daisy and the piglets moved outside last night and all was well this morning.

The piglets have started eating some soaked nuts and are getting faster by the minute!! Will try for some new pictures this week, I can't believe how fast they have grown!

If anyone sees this ... they are two weeks old yesterday so need worming ... is it best through their food at this age? :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:44 am »
Pleased you feel happy with your choices. Its always difficult.
Wouldn't worm the piglets until they're 8wkd old, they get immunity from mum upto about then and then i jab at 8wks with noramectin or dectomax se other threads on it.
Enjoy your babies HTh
Mandy

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 09:59:19 am »
Hi Mandy :wave:

Should they be done just before they go to their new homes then? :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:22 am »
Yes, i normally wean at 7wks and keep the piglets an extra week by themselves before letting them go off to new homes during that week we worm them and make sure they're all eating and drinking independently.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS