Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long should sow not eat after giving birth  (Read 11527 times)

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
how long should sow not eat after giving birth
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:40:56 am »
my kim is not eating or drinking since have piglets on Tuesday evening. tried giving her milk as she really like this .took few sips. so tried her with some bread and milk. not interested. this had worked the last time she had piglets. any ideas. thank you

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: how long should sow not eat after giving birth
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:34 am »
Try something quite smelly like bananas, she really should be eating by now also bran & molasses which also help her bowel movement wise. You could also try her with a kipper or tin of tuna ( not technically allowed) but needs must to get her eating. The other stuff our girls like are apples and jam sandwichs. Make sure she gets up and moves around between feeding her piglets.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:32 am »
What's her very favourite food?one love bananas apples grapes or melon any sweet fruit. If you can't tempt her today I'd personally call the vet to check her over. Good luck with her hope she's eating soon.
H

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:47 am »
Is she constipated ??

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:17:43 am »
Hope she's feeling better soon. Daisy wasn't interested in her nuts after farrowing but after I gave her a tummy rub she let og of a LOT of wind! Soon after she was wolfing down anything she could find. Hope it's nothing serious :)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:51:23 am »
Sweetheart Stout  :love: :pig: :love: & a massage - seriously, will relax her & get her digestive system working. 

Probably any beer/cider though  ;) & anything she likes that contains water - melons?

She needs to eat & drink soon or she will dehydrate (no milk for babies  :( ) & she will go downhill quickly  :( I'd really think of contacting the vet today.  Maybe she's got something retained that's setting-up an infection

Let us know how she gets on.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:02:09 pm »
I agree, if she still hasn't eaten, and especially drunk anything, please call the vet.

Hope everything is OK.  Let us know how she gets on. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »
Kbomgte  :wave:

I've just realised you have posted several threads on here about this sow & litter & it seems as though you are really struggling.  Please don't feel anyone is judging you, we've all had to start somewhere... but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GET A VET OUT TO KIM & THE PIGLETS.

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:33:56 pm »
I'd echo Beewyched.
Any pig that hasn't eaten or drunk for 24 hours in a major concern - 48 hours is VERY serious and that's without the extra complications of having a litter.
GET THE VET - NOW !!!
I hope all turns out well for you
Karen

TESS1963

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »
Hi - I have had four of my girls farrow February/March and one of them, Mary did not eat two of her meals, even though I enticed her with several of her favourite tit bits. I have a rule that if any of my pigs miss two meals and is not drinking, I call the vet. I checked her temperature and it was high, so immediately called the vet, who came within the hour and said it was farrowing fever and antibiotics were given. Within 24 hrs she was up on her feet and feeding, so your vet should be called.

Tess

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 09:36:31 am »
How is she? Hope all is well  :) :pig:

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »
kim is doing well. she is a bit of a huffy pig and spoilt. it takes alot of coaxing her but she gets there. reason there is alot of post is i was on my own with kids and pig no hubby about as thought she would not go during the day.everyone doing fine.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:30:56 pm »
Phew - glad everything is okay  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS