Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pasture mix  (Read 2835 times)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
pasture mix
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »
i have been given a bag of "pasture mix" from a lady with horses, can i give it to the pigs or should i not (says not suitable for sheep)

princesspiggy

Re: pasture mix
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »
i couldnt see why not, it prob has too much copper for sheep. but im sure theres a rule or reg somewhere thats says u cant...lol
horses are vegetarians so dont see how it would hurt.  :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:57:02 pm »
Will probably be ok (I guess you're not planning on replacing their main feed) - only give them a little at a time or they might get the squits  :P
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 12:29:13 pm »
A horses Vitamin and mineral requirements are different to that of a pig so I would be very cautious if you are considering doing this, as it is not always a wise thing to do.
A pig is an omnivore and a horse is a ruminant which also means that what one may be able to digest ie grass the other can not and vice versa.
It does as a general rule say on the bag, but I would maybe speak with the company who made this product, the supplier who supplies the product(or maybe a Vet?) just to be sure that you won't cause their species any problems by doing this.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »
our pigs raided the horses feed store and eat a full bag of feed in one go. they were very unhappy pigs for the next day but they were fine. just bung a small bit in with there normal feed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:19 am »
I think that horse feed has very low levels of minerals and vitamins as horses need far less than ruminants, and you have to be careful to not let horses get at sheep or cattle feed or licks for that reason. Our feed supplier does one main pasture mix which is identical for sheep and cattle except the cattle one has added copper.  And this merchant does not do a pig feed but said most people feed the sheep mix.  Ipso facto, horse feed is unlikely to harm a pig.  But absolutely, check with the supplier and feed small amounts at first.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:29:57 am »
thank you for the replies, mainly just a handful to be thrown in to our "grown up" pigs as we pass by with the sow and piglets food, helps the noise level of jealous pigs!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS