Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does Daisy look OK?  (Read 3520 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Does Daisy look OK?
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:04:04 am »
You all know what I'm like by now  ::) She's having plenty of fruit and veg along with her sow nuts ... the piglets have double in size in a week and are soooo playful! ;D She seems to be feeling alright and her ear is sorted now  :)

Last Monday, the day after farrowing

Yesterday

And a couple of the tiny ones! :love: ;D

I sat in with them yesterday but when Daisy realised I didn;t have anymore food she was REALLY angry with me! Made sure I made her settle a bit and calm down for an itch before I left and once the pioglets saw her having a scratch they descended on me in a flash! The first time I've had any good interaction with them as they're always so scatty ... they were climbing all over my lap ... amazing!! ;D :D

Qick question ... will it be okay for them to stay in for 2 weeks? I wanted to put them out this weekend but the pig ark had cemented itself into the ground and we couldn;t move it ... I want them to go into a fresh paddock and can't sort it until the gilts go off next weekend? ???

HappyHippy

Re: Does Daisy look OK?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:40:59 am »
She's looking alright  ;)
By the time the piglets are a fortnight they'll be taking lots from her, so daily feeding for her should be 6lbs plus 1lb for each piglet, just keep an eye on her condition. Some pigs manage well without loosing much, others put everything into their piglets and can end up looking really skinny.
There's not a huge problem in keeping her in, providing she's happy with that, my wee KK was chewing her way through the wooden side of the pen, trying to get out into the field again  ::) Just remember to keep adding in tufts of soil for the piglets to play with/nibble.
HTH
Karen x
Beautiful piglets btw - they make up for all the worry & stress, don't they ?  ;D :love: :pig: :love:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »
She's looking well and agree with all said by HH.
If she's getting bored can you let her out for a walk on her own for 1/2hr and then entice her back to the piglets with a bowl of nuts thats what we do in winter when they have to be cabined up with piglets.
HTh
Mandy :pig:
ps lovely babies

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:29:09 pm »
Thank you both  :D

She's fine about being in. She kicks off if her dinner doesn't come quick enough but otherwise she is very calm in there! I let her out most mornings whilst I'm mucking her out ... she tears down the field, yells at the old spots, throws herself on the grass, remembers the piglets, runs back into the stable, itches on the wheelbarrow, knocks it over, tries to itch on my leg, stands on my foot and then repeats until I'm done and I give her some carrots! ::) Piglets just sleep whilst all this is going on and once they see me crouching down, descend on my muck boots like the velcro is the most exciting thing in the world!

I love being a grandma!! :D ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:58:09 pm »
that sounds about right ... nothing quite like mucking out with a piggy helper!!
they are gorgeous :)
Little Blue

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »
She looks absolutely fine. Keep doing what you're doing. If you feel like putting her and the litter out and the weather looks stable for a couple of days, do it. Otherwise, she'll be okay (if a little frustrated) indoors. However the benefit is that you can keep a closer eye on the piglets - and they are a lot easier to catch when it comes to weaning and selling time. Swings and roundabouts. Well done and good luck.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:18 am »
As all the others, can you split her feeds into 3 ?

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »
I kind of have HM. When I'm home for the whole day she has Breakfast at 8am, Dinner at about 3.30 and then supper just before 9pm. If I'm working I still split it down but she has her meal of nuts at 5.30 and then another smaller one of fruit and veg at about 9pm.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:37 am »
Sounds perfect.  She looks fine to me.  Our Daisy used to go like a hat rack despite massive increases in the feeding.  A couple of weeks after weaning she was back to being well rounded again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS