Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeds of pigs  (Read 4224 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Breeds of pigs
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:28:41 pm »
What we have are Gloucester Old Spot x Leicester White - is this a common cross, or do people cross all sorts?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Breeds of pigs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:38:42 pm »
Forgive my ignorance never heard of a Leicester White.  People cross all sorts.  Bit like dogs. 

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:44:06 pm »
Here's the BPA breeds page http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/breedlist.htm
I suspect the Leicester white will be a large or middle white (or something like that) but it will be a tasty cross with a fairly quick finishing time and should be quite lean if you give them plenty of room to roam. ALL outdoor reared pigs, no matter what breed will give you pork a million times better than you've ever tasted before - so don't worry too much about the genetic make up this time round, just have fun trying out all the different breeds and breed combinations  ;D

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:17:06 pm »
ALL outdoor reared pigs, no matter what breed will give you pork a million times better than you've ever tasted before - so don't worry too much about the genetic make up this time round, just have fun trying out all the different breeds and breed combinations  ;D

Thank you, we will  ;D

taken this morning

this evening

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »
Had to take another look at that 2nd photo - OMG, thought they lived in the caravan  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:45:23 pm »
Pigs in bunkbeds  :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:27:47 pm »
Lovely  :pig: :pig:
Definately looks a bit like large white in the mix somewhere  ;)
Just watch their ears in the sun, they can get sunburn and sometimes need a bit of sunscreen if there's no shade in their field.
Looking good though  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:37:33 am »
Lovely piggies!   :pig: :pig:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:51:24 pm »
lol no, the old caravan is actually one of my tack sheds, then we bought a metal shed, and then along came the wooden garden shed which the pigs use  ;D

I've got a suncream that I use on the horses pink noses, would this be ok for pigs too?

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:59:56 pm »
Yip  ;D That'll be fine.
It's great fun applying it  ;) ;D
As Oaklands said on another post though, there's no substitute for a wallow for them when the weather gets hot - that's another great source of ammusement  ;D

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:03:38 pm »
oh yes, the hosepipe is close by  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS