Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How on earth has she hurt herself?!  (Read 2886 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
How on earth has she hurt herself?!
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:29:35 am »
Daisy has a really bad ear this morning.  (by the way the piglets are just AMAZING!! :pig: :love:)

I always feed her first, and when I went in this moring her ear was bleeding badly. On the top of her ear all of her skin seems to be peeling off, there is a little heat and I'm a little bit worried about some puffiness at the end of her ear too  :( :'(

I've cleaned her up with some very mild hibiscrub (I can only thank god that she is the best pig in the whole of the world and lets me do these things to her!) and put some oure aloe vera on it to try and soothe it a little. I'm at work today and she won't let my OH near her now she has the babies (think his voice is too loud!) so I will see what she is like when I get home at 4.30 and give it another clean.

I have a horrible feeling there's going to be an infection at the end so seems like vet tomorrow morning if that's the case. However, will he be able to give her antibiotics whilst she's feeding the little ones ???

I can't see how she could have done it - short of scratching REALLY REALLY hard on the creep bars ??? She's in a huge stable and there are o rough edges etc ... I just can't work it out! Should have gotten a picture but she was upset and needed her tummy rubbed  ::) :love:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: How on earth has she hurt herself?!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:46:01 am »
Hopefully not infected but don't worry if she needs antibiotics they'll give you some that are fine while they're nursing. Kimmie got mastitis and had to have some for a week and all were fine.
As to how she did it.. You'll never know for sure but doubt she would rub herself until she bled maybe she got her head stuck under the creep bars?

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:05:51 am »
Her head won't fit under the creep bars. I put two in, with the intention of taking the lower one out when the piglets get bigger, providing they don;t go out in the mean time which is looking likely!

Poor Daisy!  :(

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:57:56 am »
Have you got Alamycin spray it's a topical antibiotic and works wonders on all kinds of wounds it gets alot of use with sheep feet but we keep a supply for pig scrapes /wounds the wife has healed some unpleasant things with it on our animals.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:10:42 pm »
If you've not got any spray, do you have any pure tea-tree oil - it's a natural antiseptic, just dab on neat.

Hope she's ok.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:44:19 am »
Vet this morning  :( It looks like she managed to bend out the bottom of the door and got her ear stuck and then pulled back and tore her ear. I've kept it nice and clean but there is definately an infection in the end (a bit worried about that as the timber is tanalised  ???). Have left my OH with strict instructions on giving her a bucket of melon when the vet arrives (she's not keen on men!), so he's at home chopping as we speak!!  ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:06:07 am »
For a bucket of melon I would stand still for the vet ....  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:30:26 am »
i would stand still for some of the vets and have the bucket of melon after :o :pig: :wave: :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS