Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In or out 24/7  (Read 3925 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
In or out 24/7
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:53:59 am »
Being a new owner, first two pigs arriving today.  We've got a nice cosy wooden shed bedded down with straw, and a half height door which the plan was to leave the bottom half open so they can come and go as they please.

Would you lock them in for the first few hours/days or simply just let them have their area of field and find their own way to the bedroom?

Also with water, we have a belfast sink in another field, thought this might be more hardwearing than a plastic bucket that might get mawled up?  Or are plastic buckets ok?

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: In or out 24/7
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:00 am »
I'd unload them into the shed and let them explore from there I think ... sometimes it takes them a while to find out where bed is otherwise ... I remember a couple of ours spending the night outside!

If they're small they might not reach a belfast sink unless it's dug in a bit? It will certainly be sturdier but I'd imagine they'll still tip it over for you  ;) Good luck and enjoy! ;D :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:22:10 am »
Like Loosey I would leave them in for 24 hours.  A bucket in a tyre for water just whilst they are shut in.  They will stand on the tyre to drink.

Congratulations on your pigs. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:04 am »
Hi White-Blazes congrats on your new pigs
Try reading this link.
http://www.oldspots.org.uk/getting_started3.asp
HTH
Mandy :pig:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:36 pm »
Ours are always out in the pen from day 1 and find their bed without any problem, but no doubt there will be one soon who'll just sleep under the trampoline (it cannot be used as a trampoline, it's just the frame with greenhouse netting for shading - the frame is so heavy I'm hoping that even the pigs can't move it. :D Not enough shade in their pen, otherwise).

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:25:31 pm »
Thanks again.  The farmer said to leave them explore, so we did, and they've found the shed ok ;D

Thanks for the link, I'll read later when I'm home (back in work now :-[ )

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:47:50 pm »
Enjoy them first and foremost  :) They will find their way round just fine, remember pigs are naturally nocturnal so don't worry if they are out and about at night.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:04:39 pm »
Congrats on your piggies  :love: :pig: :love:

I wouldn't worry about shutting them in - on a sunny warm morning you'll wished you hadn't when you lose your lie-in  ;D

We use 1/2-size buckets inside tyres for water, they will flip them out occassionally when the level is getting low & play with them, so they will need checking twice daily especially in the hot weather.  Our also have a couple of belfast sinks in the paddock & the younger ones often use them to bathe in  ;D

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 08:55:11 pm »
remember pigs are naturally nocturnal so don't worry if they are out and about at night.

I never knew that :-[

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 09:37:56 pm »
remember pigs are naturally nocturnal so don't worry if they are out and about at night.

I never knew that

Nor did I, ours are in bed by 10pm and often still asleep by the time I arrive for breakfast. Never knew they might be wandering around in the dark  :D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:39:39 pm »
It's all the carrots  ;) ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04:41 pm »
Enjoy them first and foremost  :) They will find their way round just fine, remember pigs are naturally nocturnal so don't worry if they are out and about at night.

They're technically "Crepuscular" meaning most active at dusk and dawn.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:45:31 am »
Ah, I've always known mine were lazy buggers!  ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:51:59 am »
Get it right Eve - lazy, FAT, b***ers  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS