Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More piglet pics !  (Read 7365 times)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
Re: More piglet pics !
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 04:45:13 pm »

She's Tillykeira Awakino and dad is Brucklay Te whangi  ;D
I'm hoping, if she goes to my little 'Andrew' boar (ginger) that I'll get some more tri-colours, but we'll just have to wait and see  ;)
I'm keeping a black & white gilt (with 2 piri's  ;D) from this litter to breed with him too, as well as my brown gilt that I kept from the last litter - she's got the most amazing gold trim to her ears  ;) ;D
Ooooooh ! Can't wait til next year  ;D :wave:
we had planned for ruby our ginger & black with 2 piris to have a litter but she keeps coming back into season, any tips? roxy doesnt have piri but gave us 10/10 piglets all with piri! They are very addictive, looking forward to when we can have another litter but need to see how the market is for this lot and not keen on having piglets in winter!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 05:25:34 pm »
Wow they have grown sooo much since we came over - great to see them out & about Karen.  How's the slim-line Princess Portia doing?  Can't wait for her to have babies now  ;D

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 06:34:26 pm »
we had planned for ruby our ginger & black with 2 piris to have a litter but she keeps coming back into season, any tips? roxy doesnt have piri but gave us 10/10 piglets all with piri! They are very addictive, looking forward to when we can have another litter but need to see how the market is for this lot and not keen on having piglets in winter!!
My wee boar has 2 piri's and mum has 1, we always get a mix - some have 2 (usually the boys) some 1 and one so far with none. It's strange the way some have and some don't lol! But in terms of breeding gilts/sows the piri's are less important than the underline and number of teats. It's great when you get good results for both though  ;)
What Bloodline is Ruby ? I'm slightly concerned with my young Andrew boar (dam was Kereopa) and I did have another Kereopa who had apparently had a litter previously, but neither her previous owner or me could get her in-pig again.
I know there was an issue with fertility on the Jenny bloodline too, perhaps there's been a cross over of the bloodlines somewhere resulting in problems ?  I don't have any suggestions, apart from making sure she's not too fat or trying a different boar  ??? Sorry :-\ What age is she ? The Berkshire boar would be a good cross, there are some up at Insch or down by Arbroath I can give you details for if you want to try them. Maybe it's just going to take a different boar to 'kick start' her conception.
Wow they have grown sooo much since we came over - great to see them out & about Karen.  How's the slim-line Princess Portia doing?  Can't wait for her to have babies now  ;D
 :love: :pig: :love:
Portia's doing fine  :) She's so friendly and definately keeping Red in check ;D
The worrying news is that the Berkshire's are back in season - so Red's not done what he was supposed to  :-\ We're going to spend a bit of time in the field when she returns to season, we'll get Red kinda wound up and frisky and then help him get the idea of what he's supposed to do (hopefully he's just a bit slow on the uptake and once he has a go he'll be at it all the time) Will let you know how it goes, it's sure to be entertaining lol! When I told Bruce my plans he said he'd be needing rubber gloves  :o I have no idea what he thought I expected him to do, but it wasn't involving gloves  ::)
Take care,
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »
Gloves  ::) ;D

Well SoS has definately got it  8) we are waiting excitedly to see if Minnie returns, we would need to get him a step ladder & dig Portia a hole at the mo  ;)

Hope Red gets the idea soon - would love to see what colours we get out of them.  We have decided to keep the young cream Ru boar (Tommy) on to see how he matures, he's looking great now, will try & send you some piccys tomorrow.

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 07:14:15 pm »
both roxy and ruby are awakino, just turned 2, boris 4 is a Ru and we have an older sow who is 5 and a jenny who has had one litter a couple of years ago to a different boar (long story) all have been running with boris but only roxy has been lucky! poppy the 5 year old is probably too fat, even though she is bottom of the pecking order when it comes to food and they all come into season regular as clockwork and boris does his job, maybe taking boris out of their field for a wee while might work?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »
Maybe Boris is a one gilt boar  ;)

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 11:41:26 pm »
Taking him out the field for a wee while might work, but at 2 she is getting towards the too late stage (not always though and pigs have a terrible habit of making a liar out of you !) Was it Ruby's first litter ? My Kereopa girl had seasons too, regular as clockwork but nothing ever came of them  :(

Looking forward to seeing the pics of Tommy  ;D I may well be interested in 'borrowing' him or bringing someone to visit  ;) Would like a bit of cream in the mix  ;D

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 11:43:51 pm »
Karen they look great and wow have they grown since we last saw them!……Have to say the wee brown gilt is a stunner but I would say that wouldn’t I  ;D ;D….. cant wait until we get them both home fair excited at the prospect……Which reminds me I need to get my finger out with their housing, due to my wee stint  down south I’m just sooooooo last month with everything around here ??? ???

Dave

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 10:19:48 am »
Taking him out the field for a wee while might work, but at 2 she is getting towards the too late stage (not always though and pigs have a terrible habit of making a liar out of you !) Was it Ruby's first litter ? My Kereopa girl had seasons too, regular as clockwork but nothing ever came of them  :(

Looking forward to seeing the pics of Tommy  ;D I may well be interested in 'borrowing' him or bringing someone to visit  ;) Would like a bit of cream in the mix  ;D

Will have to kep an eye-out for my young kereopa gilt - she's the one I was thinking of bringing to the show  ::) She's only 7 months at the mo & no signs of a season yet, but plenty of time for that  ;)

Tommy is a real cutie, very nice nature too (not as special as SoS tho  ;) ;D ) will try & remember to take camera over to field with me today  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS