Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you worm?  (Read 6883 times)

jippers87

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Galway, Ireland.
How do you worm?
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:09 pm »
As far as I can tell, there are several different ways to worm a  :pig:, from sprays, to tablets, to injections.

What do you use? Do you administer it yourselves and what method do you use? Have any of you chosen not to worm at all following a worm count?

I believe that breeders and fattners are wormed differently? How often is each wormed?

Lots of questions I know but I want to know as much as possible!
I can talk to my animals about anything. They never judge me or disagree with me!

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
Re: How do you worm?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »
I injected with Panamec when i did my piggies,(and learnt the hard way) i went on a course on sunday and they showed us how to use a needle with a slap-shot tube, the needle locks into the end and you have a tube attached to that is the syringe, straight in the neck if piggie moves it pulls out and you don't have to go searching for lost needles, absolutly brilliant tool will be buying some for next time.

jippers87

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Galway, Ireland.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:06:51 pm »
I injected with Panamec when i did my piggies,(and learnt the hard way) i went on a course on sunday and they showed us how to use a needle with a slap-shot tube, the needle locks into the end and you have a tube attached to that is the syringe, straight in the neck if piggie moves it pulls out and you don't have to go searching for lost needles, absolutly brilliant tool will be buying some for next time.

On the course we went on, they showed us a large container of wormer that last a year or more and is administered by injection. They said jut shove it in any where in the neck region.
Is this really the case? Doesn't sound too pleasant!!
I can talk to my animals about anything. They never judge me or disagree with me!

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »
we worm with powder
got it from Manor pharmacy (they put ou through to talk to the vet who then advises you). the delivered to the local store the next day and were very good.
we hollowed out an apple and put the powder in and then hand fed them
all very painless and easy (for me and the pigs!!)  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
On the course we went on, they showed us a large container of wormer that last a year or more and is administered by injection. They said jut shove it in any where in the neck region.
I aim for the side of the neck, halfway between the ear and shoulder. Providing you've got the right length and gauge of needle for your pig there shouldn't be any problem in hitting something you shouldn't or the needle bending. The syringe I use has a wide end to the plunger, so you push the needle in and in one fell swoop press the end to deliver the dose - it's quick, fairly easy and relitively painless.
The one tip I would give if you're injecting is to have 2 people there, one stands at the gate with the food to get their attention and the other is behind the pigs (assumming big pigs that you can't hold), as soon as their nose hits the bucket/trough make your move. Be confident, calm and quick and they shouldn't even be aware that you've done it. A good way to get some practice is when you source your weaners, ask the breeder if you can come when they get their jags. Most will be happy for you to be there, give you tips and show you exactly how it's done, maybe even offer you the chance to do it yourself. This will give you the confidence to go for it yourself when needed. It really isn't that bad, just takes practice  ;)

I use noromectin (injectable) as it provides internal & extrnal protection in one and saves having to remember/purchase a seperate treatment.
I did use (and still have half a tub) of flubenol powder (an oral treatment) to worm them and whilst none of my pigs have ever shown any sign of lice or mange I have had a case of one piglet in a litter developing mange (I've been advised that it is possible for stress to cause an outbreak, but obviously, would love to hear others thoughts on this) But treating with the noromectin has cleared up the skin condition in the affected piglet, so everyone else has had the jab too (seems pointless to waste the bottle ;))
Fatteners are generally wormed at weaning and that'll be about it as they're off for slaughter around 6 months old, for all my other pigs, it's around 6 months they get wormed.
What's right for one isn't always right for everyone, so if you're unsure either talk to your vet or the breeder you buy from and find out what they do, it's always a handy point of contact too.
HTH
Karen

jippers87

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Galway, Ireland.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »
we worm with powder
got it from Manor pharmacy (they put ou through to talk to the vet who then advises you). the delivered to the local store the next day and were very good.
we hollowed out an apple and put the powder in and then hand fed them
all very painless and easy (for me and the pigs!!)  ;D

Where is Manor pharmacy?

jippers87

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Galway, Ireland.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:06 pm »
I aim for the side of the neck, halfway between the ear and shoulder. Providing you've got the right length and gauge of needle for your pig there shouldn't be any problem in hitting something you shouldn't or the needle bending. The syringe I use has a wide end to the plunger, so you push the needle in and in one fell swoop press the end to deliver the dose - it's quick, fairly easy and relitively painless.
The one tip I would give if you're injecting is to have 2 people there, one stands at the gate with the food to get their attention and the other is behind the pigs (assumming big pigs that you can't hold), as soon as their nose hits the bucket/trough make your move. Be confident, calm and quick and they shouldn't even be aware that you've done it. A good way to get some practice is when you source your weaners, ask the breeder if you can come when they get their jags. Most will be happy for you to be there, give you tips and show you exactly how it's done, maybe even offer you the chance to do it yourself. This will give you the confidence to go for it yourself when needed. It really isn't that bad, just takes practice  ;)

I use noromectin (injectable) as it provides internal & extrnal protection in one and saves having to remember/purchase a seperate treatment.
I did use (and still have half a tub) of flubenol powder (an oral treatment) to worm them and whilst none of my pigs have ever shown any sign of lice or mange I have had a case of one piglet in a litter developing mange (I've been advised that it is possible for stress to cause an outbreak, but obviously, would love to hear others thoughts on this) But treating with the noromectin has cleared up the skin condition in the affected piglet, so everyone else has had the jab too (seems pointless to waste the bottle ;))
Fatteners are generally wormed at weaning and that'll be about it as they're off for slaughter around 6 months old, for all my other pigs, it's around 6 months they get wormed.
What's right for one isn't always right for everyone, so if you're unsure either talk to your vet or the breeder you buy from and find out what they do, it's always a handy point of contact too.
HTH
Karen

Lots of great advice there, thank you Karen.

PS what does HTH stand for ?!

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:00:12 pm »
Hope That Helps  ;)

jippers87

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Galway, Ireland.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:12:30 pm »

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:59:46 pm »

Where is Manor pharmacy?
[/quote]

its a chain of pharmacies; put search in the internet for nearest branch to you
Mx

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »
Happyhippy we were told to aim for the same spot! with the slap shot you fill the tube and syringe, put needle in and inject, all seemed so simple when they showed us on there lovely docile Tamworth, just hope it is as easy when we do ours lol

Mrs pig

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 11:15:25 am »
Dectomax - is an injectable wormer - this also does for external parasites such as mange - but the vet has to do the first one, after this you may be able to get it by the syringe full to inject by yourself. Cost £88.22 / 200ml bottle works out approx £5/sow plus vet fee.

Flubenol - in feed powders that are cheaper and cna be fed to your pig - these can be bought over the counter and only do for internal parasites.  you can feed these easily by taking the core out of an apple and adding the powder and giving it by hand to your pig. £26.85 / 600g - 5 - 10 day course.

Solubenol -the third way is in the water which is cheaper still - again bought over the counter - again only for internal parasites.  more difficult to asscertain if the pig is getting the right amount each time.

Best off spekaing to your vet on the phone - they will give you really good advice. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 11:33:44 am »
Dectomax is available from most Ag merchants (for weaners use the same rates as lambs). I use Noramectin jabs which i collect from the vets and jab myself. Weaners are alll done at 8wks and breeding stock every 6mths. Have tried oral wormers but don't find them as effective
HTH
Mandy :pig:

banbh

• Joined Jan 2010
  • county galway
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:02:05 am »
A good way to get some practice is when you source your weaners, ask the breeder if you can come when they get their jags.

I tried that, but they said that coming was OK but it had nothing to do with them, and I shouldn't make it obvious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS