Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rear your own piglets idea  (Read 27465 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Rear your own piglets idea
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:13:21 am »
I have been approached by customers who would like me to sell them piglets which I will rear for them up to an agreed weight.  They would pay an agreed amount for the piglet, the costs and the work involved.  They would state when and at what weight they wanted their pig butchered.  I would take the pig to the abattoire.  During the piglets growing time they would visit as and when they wanted.

I wondered if anyone else has tried this, and what the drawbacks are. 

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Rear your own piglets idea
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:50:21 pm »
Funnily we intend to offer the same service. It is very popular in UK - there is a guy who runs a business doing just that.

It can only be a win win for both parties involved so go for it. Some people just wont want to rear an animal, but by owning it it gives them the satisfaction of eating their own pork.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:17:24 am »
We hope to launch a similar scheme in the autumn (when our first litters should be ready). Chief advantage seems to be with cashflow. Most schemes I've seen involve a payment at the start with the balance being paid on delivery of the meat. Can't see a problem really - I'm sure there is one!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:58:34 am »
I can't see any drawbacks either - unless your costs rise dramatically during the rearing period and end up a lot more than you had budgeted for. It will certainly help with cashflow if you get the money to cover costs up front. Seems like a good scheme to me!

Will the owners have visiting rights?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:02:20 pm »
We were thinking of a fact pack in which you get to learn all about the pig you have chosen and the way it is being reared. There would updates of photos on the website and any news or funny stories relating to the pig and of course visiting would be encouraged as well.

I think it could work really well.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 12:25:04 pm »
i have sponsors for some of my current batch of porkers, two whole ones for one chap, and three other people have 1/2 a pig.  all they seem to be bothered about is when and how much pork they will get. although one chap wants to do the full hfw pig in a day thing including black pudding. it has helped with costs and will provide a guaranteed figure at the end. though i havn't done this for profit, just because my friends were interested in getting some free range rare breed pork at the same time i was getting into pigs as a hobby. the one chap with two pigs,simon, has brought his kids to look at them but went indoors quickly beacuase of the weather not being to his liking. I think it is a good plan for smallholders to get  a bit of outside interest in their livestock to help cover costs, but what happens if things go wrong and there is no end product? . as all they are basically doing is covering the marginal costs and not any of the other overheads it is difficult to see a commercial goldmine. but as i say it helps justify the activity and will hopefully help keep rare breeds on the go. of course there is the beautiful tasty pork, and the joy of looking after such interesting animals. but it also offers the challenge to smallholders of making a go it, doing some marketing and networking and increasing interest in other things you may be doing. ie. sell them eggs, veg and chicken etc as well as pork.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 02:07:04 pm »
We get so many visitors to see the pigs anyway, that a couple of  visiting "owners" would not be a problem.  If one did not reach maturity we could exchange it, although for us it would be a tragedy because of the loss of life not money.  Odd really to be so attached to what we eat!!!

Tony J

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 02:46:47 pm »
I did this last year with my next door neighbor. I had 2 pigs, they bought 1, and I sold half of the other one, so my half was almost free. I would do it again because an added bonus was that the neighbors looked after the pigs and hens when we went away for a few days break.

Tony

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 03:06:18 pm »
I admit it is very difficult to detach youself away from the relationship you build up with your stock, especially if you only have a few. I think the naming thing is the problem, my six year old gives everything a name, and has a memory like an elephant. he gets very upset when we discuss what will happen with everything. he hates the thought of eating the cockerels, but would gladly eat one of the mean ganders.however, swapping stuff with friends can be quite good as it is easier when your dinner has no name. luckily the turkey we had at xmas was never named, as i kept it away from my son as much as possible and he did not like the look of them or the sound. ( turkeys being another adoption option if you know what i mean, although it was hard work just processing 4 for the table).

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 04:24:14 pm »
I have around 60 pigs at any one time, I cant NOT name them.  Its a thing I have.  Its extremely hard when they go, oddly its harder to let one go to a new home than to the abattoir. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:19:35 am »
After all the encouragement and advice I received on this topic I thought I would update - for anyone considering this as an idea - we sold one at beginning of January, the people drop in about once a fortnight, bringing treats and expressing an interest in the amount of bacon they will get.  Since then they have introduced another couple who bought a pig, and so it continues at present we have five pigs.  The regular and guaranteed income is very useful, and has allowed us to plan ahead with more certainty.  Would certainly recommend this to anyone who is considering it.  The only drawback I can see is arranging to get them to the abattoir to coincide with owner's covenience and our timings.

HM

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:06:25 am »
what would happen if  the person dropped out of the program ?
eg didn't want the pig at the end of it?
eg could bring them self to eat it and contacted you to cancel the agreement
am just playing devils adaduct here
hehe

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 10:35:51 am »
I have seen numerous schemes like this on the go and if i had the space i would certainly take on a few more piggies to run a similar scheme , there does seem to be an appetite for it (excuse the pun!)
as you say the only drawback could be a dramatic rise in rearing costs half way through , but i guess no different to normal then as i always give an approx. price to my customers on order confirmation.

as with regards  to someone dropping out - if you take a decent deposit initially then a lot of the cost is coverd anyway , and i have found my "books" are usually oversubscribed  (although i only rear two at a time) so there is always someone willing to buy quarter or half a piggy. another idea would perhaps to have an agreement drawn up re. cancellation as in any other business deal ?? :) 
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:44 am »
:)

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:06:57 pm »
sounds like a really good idea to me! the same could be applied to turkeys, chickens, lambs and even beef although i doubt someone would want to buy a whole cow! i imagine poultry would be more popular for the festive season tho!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS