Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best age for breeding.  (Read 4328 times)

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Stanton upon Hine Heath, Shropshire
Best age for breeding.
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:21 pm »
 :pig: I have 4 Kune Kune gilts. Two born in octobr two born in june what is the best age to breed from them :pig:
Daniel Thomas, thod92@hotmail.co.uk

Hillhead

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Best age for breeding.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:28:38 pm »
We keep Kunes and didn't breed from the girls until they were 14 months old.  We also have a gilt that was born in September and I wouldn't consider breeding from her for at least another 10 to 12 months as she is still so small - but this is only my personal opinion.  I also keep OSBs and would not put the gilt to the boar until they are at least 12 months old. :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:19:51 pm »
Hiya Daniel & welcome from West Scotland  :wave:

A lot depends on how mature they are - some KKs are ready before a year old, some need a little more time to grow.  Sorry this is vague, but it does depend on the individual gilt.  Is there an experienced KK person near to you that can have a look at your girls?  I would put them to a boar before they are 18 months tho & keep an eye on their weight - KKs are notorious for getting too fat, then they have fertility problems.
 :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mrs pig

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:22:01 am »
I have no experience with KK but with all pigs the optimum first time to breed is the 3rd heat - after this every subsequent heat missed reduces the gilts reproductive potential.  If you have done a good job with your gilts and have fed and managed them so they are in correct breeding condition you should easily be able to breed on the 3rd service.  Pigs that mature later and need to breed later often start cycling later also.  You can also use a product called Regumate that allows you to synchronise your gilts breeding pattern or in many smallholder cases - re start an older gilt when she has been left too long!

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 12:40:19 pm »
Hiya Daniel & welcome from West Scotland  :wave:

A lot depends on how mature they are - some KKs are ready before a year old, some need a little more time to grow.  Sorry this is vague, but it does depend on the individual gilt.  Is there an experienced KK person near to you that can have a look at your girls?  I would put them to a boar before they are 18 months tho & keep an eye on their weight - KKs are notorious for getting too fat, then they have fertility problems.
 :love: :pig: :love:

Thanks very much. There are no other KK Breeders Near me, I am registered with the society so have been looking there aswell. Thanks for the replies everyone any other help apriciated.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 05:16:36 pm »
Whereabouts are you Daniel ?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:18:04 pm »
According to his profile Daniel's down Shopshire way or I would have suggested he visited you Karen  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:56:02 pm »
Shropshire. Ive got them for pets really but would like to breed even if it is just for the freezer to start with

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 01:03:12 pm »
I have no experience with KK but with all pigs the optimum first time to breed is the 3rd heat - after this every subsequent heat missed reduces the gilts reproductive potential.  If you have done a good job with your gilts and have fed and managed them so they are in correct breeding condition you should easily be able to breed on the 3rd service.  Pigs that mature later and need to breed later often start cycling later also.  You can also use a product called Regumate that allows you to synchronise your gilts breeding pattern or in many smallholder cases - re start an older gilt when she has been left too long!

Age and weight play an important part in when a pig should be bred and that is at approx. 7 months of age at 130kg(LR x LW cross).
Mr P is right, they should have cycles 3 times and that the longer you leave them the smaller the litter. Also the longer you leave them the bigger they grow the bigger possibility is that they may lay on their pigs as less space and they become more cumbersome. If you record their cycle dates then you know when they are due to stand, hence you know when to odrer AI, unless you are doing natural then its not such a concern.
Rugument is useful if you wish to syncronise gilt serving and is best done on a slice of bread(or mixed in feed). Each pig must recieve 75% of a squirt of it to be successful. Don't suppose too many of you smallholders use this product and I have only used it a couple of time myself(best rememeber I said this Lillian as it may be used against me. :wave:
Have you guys tried varying your mating age and weight to see what effect it has on litter size??
Alot of people beleive that gilts normally have lower litter and yes that is true, but low meaning 8+. Anything under that would not normally be acceptable commercially and unless I was short of sows that week I would end up culling it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS