Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune Worming  (Read 7959 times)

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Stanton upon Hine Heath, Shropshire
Kune Kune Worming
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »
I have 6 Kune Kune females. 2 four year olds and 4 gilts. 2 born in june two born in october. They are living in three of woodland. feed twice a day. They will let you stroke them but not haldle them really. What is the best Way to worm Them :pig:
Daniel Thomas, thod92@hotmail.co.uk

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Kune Kune Worming
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:19:54 pm »
Happy Hippy is the Kune guru and will put you right! I imagine if you can't inject you could put it in a banana and make sure they all get their share.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
Hi,

To worm effectively you also need to set up a land rotation programme, otherwise the pigs could potentially pick the worm eggs straight back up again so worming could be a futile excercise.

Also worth considering a worm count, either via your vet or via a postal service to see what worms are present (if any) and how long you need to rest the land for.

Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about pig worms :

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/article/407/internal-parasites (lots of pages to scroll through with some very good info)

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:42:29 pm »
 :pig: Thanks SfS all six are currently roaming on three acres of wooland. i own 11 acres in total my poultry have 1 acre. could rotate the pigs on more. but would rarther split the existing three acres into small areas. would this be suitable for six pigs.

I have been brought up with sheep goats and cattle and chickens all my life on our 22 acre small holding but have only ecently got into pigs since buying 11 acres of woodland. so i am not new to farming just pigs. Help need with many different things. I have bought allmy record books off you :sheep: :cow: :goat: :chook:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:14:46 pm »
Hiya,
As SfS says, if they've got worms you'll have them in your ground already. Best thing to do at this point would probably be get a worm count done to check and then decide on a treatment.
I used to use Flubenol (it's an oral worming powder, but doesn't treat external parasites - so you still need to treat for them seperately) but have changed to noromectin lately (it's a injection though) Panacur is a good oral one - but only comes in massive quantities, so for 6 pigs it would be terribly expensive.
Give as much pasture as you can to them (they'll stop rooting once the grass is up) and this will encourage them to graze, they'll only need about 1lb of food a day each if under a year and the adults will be fine on grass and fruit & veg alone
Kune Kunes are generally really sociable, friendly wee pigs and will respond very well to human company - can I suggest you take a couple of hours every week and spend a bit of time with them ? They'll come round REALLY quickly (especially with a pocketfull of grapes or bananas) you'll soon find they'll be clambering all over you and checking ears, teeth, feet or doing injections isn't any problem at all.
HTH
Karen x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:48:17 pm »
Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about pig worms :

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/article/407/internal-parasites (
.. and alot you didn't!  ;)

As Karen says, a little bit of food-bribery and attention goes a long way in the eyes of a kune!
good luck with them, lovely pigs  :)
Little Blue

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:47 am »
Thanyou all very much.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:24:19 pm »
If you're giving an oral wormer, our Kunes take it in a jam sandwich - no spillage, no probs  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:50:05 pm »
If you're giving an oral wormer, our Kunes take it in a jam sandwich - no spillage, no probs  :yum:
That'll be one that hasn't been through the kitchen of course?!
;)   ;D
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »
Of course - fresh bread & an new pot of jam bought directly from the supermarket - all prepared outside in the feedroom  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 08:04:27 pm »
;D
Little Blue

thod92

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:53 pm »
Thanks very much.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS