Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormer  (Read 12179 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Wormer
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »
Hi all,

The last couple of times Ive wormed the pigs Ive got the stuff from my vets i was wondering if i could purchase it over the counter so to speak and would it be a bit cheaper?

I would prefer not to have to do injections if possible so either a liquid onto the skin or in/on food would be ideal, are there any particular makes or suppliers anyone could recommend

Thanks Rob
Rob & Manda :)

Re: Wormer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:13:55 pm »
Firstly, do you need to worm? do a worm count, via your vet or a postal service.

Then when you know what you are dealing with find an appropriate wormer - lots of places online do them over the phone.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:15 pm »
We like the Panacur pellets.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/panacur-15-pellets-25kg?_$ja=kw:%2bpanacur%20%2bpellets|cgn:PML+-+Cattle+Wormers+-+Panacur+1.5%25+Pellets+2.5KG|cgid:1940996914|tsid:23289|cn:PML+-+Cattle+Wormers+-+BRAND|cid:61402114|lid:21329033554|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:6405064474&gclid=CMuS1v_jg6gCFcoa4QodR32nqw

Large bag, not much needed per pig, and lasts ages, but they don't seem to do a small bag.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:45 pm »
Same as Oaklands I bought Panacure from Mole Valley. Just short of £50 but good in date for a few years. How many pigs do you need to treat? and what weight are they.

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:57:45 pm »
Ive got 2 sows aboout 18 stone give or take, 1 boar 16 stone ish and 6 youngsters 16 week old 20-30kg or so
 they are due for a weigh in but ive been putting it off for a bit
Rob & Manda :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:43:53 pm »
just done ours with Panacur liquid ... they looked rabid!
but from the vet at great expense....
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:44 pm »
Does the Panacur treat external parasites too ?
If it's purely a wormer how do you guard against lice & mange ?
Karen x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:55:55 pm »
Ivomectin  (Injectable - hate doing it!)
Little Blue

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:27 pm »
For external probs use a pour on they don't even know they've beeen treated unlike an injection, for internal probs we use panacaur pellets we buy a huge tub lasts for ages .

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:49:11 pm »
LB - if you're treating with ivomectin then you shouldn't need an additional wormer (panacur etc) as the ivomectin, like the noromectin, treats internal & external parasites. Mange in a piglet, for example, can be a real problem if left untreated and can, in very extreme cases lead to death. http://jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/68/6/1495.pdf
From what I can see Panacur only treats internal parasites - the only oral treatment I can see that does both is a noromectin pre-mix http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/products/Noromectin-Premix-Pig-5kg.html it's really expensive  :o

I hope this next comment doesn't upset anyone (and I apologise if it does, but feel I have to say it :-\) If you aren't prepared to inject your pig (or pay the vet to do it) then you shouldn't be keeping pigs - how are you going to keep them fit and healthy otherwise ? Please don't get me wrong - I don't like having to do it (and Bruce always does the boars ;)) but it's important for their health and welfare that they are treated EFFECTIVELY for internal & external parasites. It's not such a concern for folks who are just raising a few weaners for slaughter (providing, of course they've been wormed prior to you getting them) but anyone who's breeding should be keeping a medicines record and be sure they are treating on time and for the appropriate conditions.
Karen x

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 01:30:50 am »
Ive got 2 sows aboout 18 stone give or take, 1 boar 16 stone ish and 6 youngsters 16 week old 20-30kg or so
 they are due for a weigh in but ive been putting it off for a bit

PM Sent

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45:18 am »
If you don't have lice or mites at the moment you will only get then from bringing livestock in or bringing in  materials (eg straw) from a farm that has infected livestock near their straw.  If you do get it, once killed on your pigs and in their bedding , they don't survive in the environment.  Therefore if you are clear of external parasites there is no need to treat for them.

Therfore using a liquid, mix or pellets (such as Panacur as we do) that treats the internal parasites is a perfectly acceptable regime if you don't have lice/mites, and does save you from the hassle of injecting adult sows.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:14:13 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:57 am »
Whatever wormer you choose to use, and there are lots out there, an important thing to remember is to change the type of wormer occasionally, and to correctly dose - never underdose.

Otherwise there is the chance of immunity being built up to the particular type of wormer.

ie. if you always use panacur and always have done, then you may find a panucur resistant strain of worm develops over a long period.

Immunity to wormers is becoming a very big problem on some farms.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 09:43:37 am »
I use Dectomax for pigs from the vets. 

I invested in a Masterject......and found it's worth every penny.  Must less stressful for the pigs  :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 02:17:50 pm »
H.H

I MUST disagree with your comments re injecting pigs for external parasites there is absolutely nothing
wrong with external treatments [our vet advocates them for pigs  and they are very effective] pigs we have found have very long memories and will remember what an injection is all about; especially if it is regular thus making it very hard to get close for such things without restraining them and disressing them. We only ever inject for actual illness not routine health management and we find it leaves us with the most manageable docile Tams around; who when they do rarely need an injection allow me or the wife to do it where ever they are [wide open field or in their housing] .We have a healthy herd of pigs we don't have a parasite problem just because we don't routinely inject for such things.What works for you wont necessarily work for someone else and vice versa.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS