Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PIGLETS!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5204 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
PIGLETS!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:40:24 pm »
I'm a jibbering mess!! Daisy was checked at midnight ... no signs ... checked again at 3am, nothing. Checked at 6am and still nothing. Got there a 8am and the were piglets!!! 8 in total, one little black one dead, I think possible stillborn as he was half the size of the rest.

No afterbirth, fed Daisy who was screaming her head off at me and gave her some Guiness.

Emailed Karen in a blind panic about no afterbirth (trying to use mobile internet!) but by the time I had spoken to her it was out and eaten  :o. Whilst on the phone to Karen the other part came and they settled down to feed. Thank you so much Karen!!x

Have put the heat lamp in for them which they love! All seemed to feed ok and they're very active! They have a big chunk of earth to lick at but someone is telling me they still need iron jabs, is that right?

Pictures!!

Guess who's going to be the naughty one?!

Clever Daisy! Happy Mothers Day!! :love:

This made me and my OH cry!!!

She's such a good pig! 4 pink with black spots, one strawberry blonde with black spots and 2 little black ones. Haven't sexed them yet, too soon for her. Will report back!!  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :love: ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:27:33 pm by loosey »

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: PIGLETS!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
Fanastic what lovely babies well done Daisy !
They don't need iron jag if you've given them soil.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:29:14 pm »
congratulations, its just the best feeling ever! enjoy them

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »
Yeay - fantastic.  Wonderful pics.  You'll remember this Mothers Day for a long time to come  :)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »
Fabby  ;D ;D ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »
Hiya,
There's been a study done recently on giving iron injections to outdoor pigs (wish I could remember where I saw the article  ???) but as I recall they got 2 groups of outdoor pigs, gave iron injections at 3 days to one group and left the other group as a control. Although there was no iron defficency in either group, the group which had recieved the injection had higher iron levels and consistantly achieved higher weights when weaned compared to those who hadn't had the jab. I think it was around a 10% increase - okay, so it's maybe aimed at the big commercial producers where every Kg mtters, but still food for thought  ;) The stuff isn't that expensive, so might be worth considering
http://www.happychicks.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/Happychicksshop/_865/312059/Gleptosil%20x%20100%20Ml%20Iron%20Injection%20for%20Piglets

Anyway, all that aside CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU & DAISY, what gorgeous piglets you've got !  :love: :pig: :love:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:32:51 pm »
(wish I could remember where I saw the article  ???)

You wish is granted !!

Was in Farmers weekly - link to article below

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2011/01/11/124997/Iron-injecting-outdoor-piglets-boosts-weaning-weight.htm

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:05:30 pm »
Thanks Robin - my memory is not as good as it should be  ;) :wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:02:48 pm »
Congratulations :pig: :pig: they atre lovely well done Daisy
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:13:18 pm »

Oh they are so gorgeous!

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 08:57:31 pm »
Congratulations, there are lovely

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 10:49:51 pm »
Oh they are incredibly cute!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:57:21 pm »
Well done, Daisy - you have a gorgeous litter there!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:38 am »
Absolutely fantastic, she couldn't have chosen a more propitious  day.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:22:52 am »
Thank you!  ;D ;D ;D

I couldn't stop going to check them yesterday! Daisy had Boiled potatoes, carrots and asparagus with her feed last night and half a melon for dessert! She's a very clever pig. I could sit and watch her feed them all day doing her little grunts to them!.

They love the heat lamp. They are still shivery, is that normal? The heat lamp is quite warm and I've left in on all the time for them. As soon as they've fed they all run straight back under and Daisy snoozes right up against the creep bar!

This weekend coming we have some people coming to move one of our pig arks so will they be able to go out by this time next week? And if so will I need to make a creep area in the pig ark too?

One final question ... they girls were due to be wormed last week but the vets put out the wrong wormer for us so Daisy hasn't been done. I now have the wormer (injection) for the other 2 gilts. How do I go about doing Daisy? Now or later, and what about the piglets?

Besides those little worries, I'm still very excited and can't wait to get back and see them this evening (other half working from home and won't get anything done for checking them every couple of hours!). Daisy is actually the most wonderful pig in the world  ;D :love: :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS