Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our first piggies are here!  (Read 3553 times)

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
Our first piggies are here!
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:32 pm »
3 British Lop boars. Picked them up this morning  ;D They slept all the way home, spent a good while exploring their new pen and then spent most of the day sleeping in the sunshine. They weren't very keen to go into their makeshift ark tonigt preferring to snuggle in the straw outside but i spent a bit of time encouraging them to go in their when it got dark so hopefully they will be snuggled up in there by now. All the neighbours have been out to look at them and they seem to have won everyone over with their cuteness ;) They are great fun to watch. I can seem many hours in the sunshine sat in that pen with them over the next few months :D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Our first piggies are here!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »
Piccys please  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:27:18 am »
Another one hooked on pigs  ;D

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:04:20 pm »
Can't seem to make the photo's small enough to put them on here.

They seem to be settling in well. They slept outside their little arc last night buried in lots of straw, i'm a bit worried they will get cold. Will keep encouraging them in at night and see if they catch on. They are still a bit wary of tummy scratches and the like but i think might be coming round to the idea ;) Lots of fun :)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:11:23 pm »
We had the same issue with our 4 new weaners last year - however after a couple of days sleeping outside they then decided the ark was AOK  :D
If they have lots of straw to snuggle in then I am sure they will be fine. I put some tasty titbits into the ark to get them to investigate inside and I think that's what did the trick.
Enjoy  ;D

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »
Thats reassuring, i've been doing the same so hopefully they will get the idea soon  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:08:48 pm »
Trust me - as soon as it gets wet and cold they'll find their ark  ;)
Mine like sleeping under trees and in the undergrowth during the summer, but like a dry bed when it rains  ::) As long as the ark is there, with plenty of straw they'll be fine.
Enjoy your piggies  :love: :pig: :love: Have you named them yet ?
Karen  :wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:48:56 pm »
They soon get the idea. As to tummy rubs we just have to touch a shoulder and over they go. They will be great time wasters but so much fun to watch. Enjoy ;D ;D
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »

They sound great, and welcome to the pig-keeping family!

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:23:27 pm »
They learn fast, they're tucked up in their little house tonight, snoring!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:11 pm »
Hope you've got a warm jacket 'cause you'll be spending many hours watching them! Welcome to the world of pig-addicts  ;D

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 07:40:56 am »
Went to feed them this morning at 7 and they were still in bed snoring. Left them asleep and their breakfast is waiting when they decide to get up ::) and oh yes the warm jacket has is already getting plenty of use of an evening!!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS