Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: THink we have piglets on the way  (Read 6567 times)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
THink we have piglets on the way
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:19 pm »
Hello
Well very exciting here at the moment, we think Marilyn is about to farrow, she is puffing and panting, hubby has checked her teats and there is milk there, her vulva looks quiet pink, is there anything we should do, or do we just let nature take its course? This is our first time of a sow having piggies

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: THink we have piglets on the way
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:13:42 pm »
Is she inside? Do you have towels at the ready to wipe them off? Scissors for cutting very long cords off and iodine/purple spray for same. Presume you have a lamp ready if inside. Do you have any antibiotics, oxytocin if placenta doesn't all come or stresnil if she gets stressed.
If you don't, get the guinness in for the stress (thanks again Karen!) if she's a gilt you may need to give her a few cans to calm her if she shows signs of aggression to piglets. Saved a litter of 11 for me. For the rest if you don't have it keep a close eye on her and have vet on speed dial just in case.
You will probably find everything will go absolutely fine but best to be ready.

Keep checking her regularly now I did hourly checks when the milk was in you'll have babies by the morning no doubt. So keep calm and enjoy watching nature at her finest   ;D

Oh and I hope you've the day off tomorrow chances are you're not gonna get much sleep tonight! ;D :pig:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:15:52 pm »
And don't forget to have a flask and some biscuits with you - something to enjoy while you are waiting for something to happen!!

Good luck, hope your piglets arrive soon.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »
towels yes, scissors yes, spray yes, lamp yes, penicillian yes, no stresnil or oxytocin, she has had a litter before, and has i believe from previous owners not had any problem, thats not to say she may or may not this time.
Guiness is on the way, and no i have got work in the morning, but work felexi so not to much bother, better get back up there to keep hubby company, and put this web site on my phone just incase

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »
Youll be fine especially if she's had a litter before. If she doesn't need the guinness you have one to celebrate when they're here. Keep warm, I hope they arrive soon and you get some sleep. All the best  ;D :pig:

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »
No sign yet, but have the guinness

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:50:47 pm »
Good stuff. It will probably happen in the early hours that's pigs for you :-))
If there are 2 of you able to keep watch I'd do shifts so you can get some sleep. When it all starts happening you can call on the mobile to get the other one up.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:03 am »
Well 1am and she is sleeping now, i think i will go off to bed and get up early to see what is happening, nite nite

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:02:03 am »
Any news?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:21 am »
Did she see you go off to bed and have the piglets, then? ;D

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 01:24:52 pm »
she will  have the piglets and very sucessful at haveing them.   I dont cut the cords they dry and shrivel of their own accord.   I also dont wipe them down as they will dry on their own and get around to the milk bag for a feed on their own.   I think it is fine to watch but not to touch or to intervene unless you absolutely have to.  Then yes Stresnil is a handy product.  Failing tha a cuple of tinnies given to the sow will give her some peace and allow her muscles to become limp.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:55:13 pm »
Well i am pleased to announce that between 9-30 and 12-05 Marilyn gave birth to 10 piglets all on her own, with no help all feeding well, cant believe she had 10!!! Mangalitza'a are not meant to have 5 to 7. She hasn't passed the placenta yet tho

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 03:03:39 pm »
That's a great result Nails  ;D Well done you and well done piggy  ;) :bouquet:
I know a lady who's Mangalitza only had 3 piglets - so 10 is fantastic, you must be doing something right  ;D
Karen x

PS Photo's PLEASE  :wave:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:24 pm »
Congratulations!  Would be great to see some pictures  :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 04:24:42 pm »
The joy of living in warmer climes Blonde.. It's bloody freezing here at night in winter and early spring so my preference is to wipe babies off to get them dry and warm to mom.

Well done Nails would love to see piccies !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS