Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Guernseys  (Read 12752 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Golden Guernseys
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 10:01:23 pm »
I think my GG's are pretty hardy, just don't like the wet. They have a very drafty shed (deliberately, I really don't like coughing animals), and if there are snow drifts in winter the snow stays inside too... mine have also never been rugged, even through the last two winters. But they eat mountains of hay in cold weather!!!

I think goats in general are very hardy, but don't like rain. That would be for all goats, as their coats just don't have lanolin, and they get soaked very quickly.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 10:44:40 pm »
Thanks for this thread its been reallly informative. We've been considering goats for next year so I'm starting to do my background reading. Old English certainly sound worth a second look!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 11:28:13 pm »
I have to say I agree with Anke, our shed is NOT overally warm, lots of fresh air is great, especially for young goats and male goats. We always expect our male goats to be tough, and we leave them out all night. The female goats go out grazing during the day, and the boys go out in the evening and stay out all night.

Beth

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 01:34:25 am »
Next Countryfile appears to include a bit about Golden Guernseys, so I will be watching.  Once our lambing is over I will visit and investigate and try to make up my mind  ;D  :goat: :goat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »
Thank you jaykay - I didn't really know about them.  They do seem hardier and beautiful in their own goaty way (actually I love them  :)).  So now I need to find out who keeps them in southern Scotland/northern England so I can see them and compare  :)

You live "oop north"?You lucky thing you...takes me 6hrs to get up there to see Proper OE Goats!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 12:28:55 am »
Lovely pic - it's hard to see where the wall ends and the goats begin, with their perfect cammo colouring  :goat: That looks like a brand new slate roof on the shed.   It will take me 2-2 1/2 hours to get down to see some at Hadrians wall and about the same to get down to jaykays if I am feeling speedy, then an hour to get across to see Anke's GGs. (which is why I can't make the visits until after our lambing is over)  I love going down to England to see the huge trees down there, but I love it up here in Scotland where we are in reach of all the beautiful scenery of the far north, the Lake District and so on - as well as lots of lovely animals of course. 

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009

AengusOg

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »
We haven't shot them all...we only hunt things which annoy us up here.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 06:50:07 pm »
But the feral goats in Scotland could still be a few hours drive away from us.... Scotland is a big place!

Beth

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »
dont get to excited about the blackface meat co  :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:25 pm »
I've seen the feral goats down towards the south west, but they are behind fences now and being fed, so not so very feral.  Lovely to spot though  :goat:

princesspiggy

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 09:43:53 am »
we use to have a gg, she was so sweet and gentle. would always talk to u. was never any trouble and didnt go far from our house. we didnt want a milking goat but had to milk her cos she was so engorged in the summer, even tho she had never kidded with us. she was lovely tho  :goat: :love:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:53 am »
Was watching Countryfile last night - Adam went to Guernsey to see these, then bought some from a couple to augment his own flock.  I hadn't realised how rare these are - only 1000 in the whole country apparently.  He bought 4, 2 of which were in kid and he's transport them after the kids were born.  They looked in lovely condition, beautiful shiny flowing coats.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 11:34:16 am »
I missed Countryfile so must try to find time to watch it on i-player.  Their coats are glorious  :) I wonder how they would cope with winter mud, or would they stay indoors til it had gone? We are not particularly muddy here, but it does happen in a wet year or after snowmelt.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 08:08:31 pm »
Missed it too - it was too nice a day to watch any telly.     
I too have fancied getting GGs or Bagots and didn't realise Anke was just down the road from me with some!  However, I am now getting pure registered pygmy goats which are much hardier, very friendly, easy to pedicure and low maintenance.  I was at the vets today (puppy speying) and had a good conversation with the farm animal vet there and it was interesting what he said -any milking goats have feet problems on a regular basis and you really have to be on good terms with them to allow all the handling that entails (this I knew) and any goats which you intend to breed from should have annual injections (of which he mentioned about 3) which you shouldn't need with the 'wild' goats (hardys).  Likely Anke uses the same vets as they are in St Boswells so perhaps he/she can comment on this.  He said that he new someone years ago who bread pygmys and they were great fun and particularly hardy with harder feet which will suit us here as we have kids and holiday lets.  However, it still doesn't stop me wanting the GG's or Bagots!  May be worth watching that i-player.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS