Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir cost  (Read 11560 times)

Mel

Abattoir cost
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:29:30 pm »
Hi all!

We are very nearly ready to have our first pigs! I was doing some research as to cost's and my local abattoir charges £24.00 per slaughter plus the levy and vet another £6.55.To joint them into basic cuts is going to cost between £40 and £50.(that is up to 180LBS or 85KG),there is a surcharge if any larger.If we wish for sausages they would be £1.09p per Lb on top of the £50.00.

Is this reasonable by your standards only a local pig farmer has said it is really very expensive?!

We would really appreciate your advice and replies.our local Abattoir is H Hellett of Kimbolton.Bedfordshire some 12-15 miles from us.By the way,he only accepts pigs using slap marker as said the tags come off through processing which is another extra expense.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Abattoir cost
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »
We paid about the same last year.

:wave:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:32:57 pm »
We paid £36 for pig no.1 (62 kg) and £42 for pig no.2 (86 kg). I think the cut off is 75 kg for the up in cost.  Sausages were 95p/lb and the bacon/gammon joints were £5 each.  In total we paid £203 for kill, cut, sausages and curing - not too bad I don't think.

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:43:43 pm »
Crikey! We are paying £28 for slaughter and £12 for butcher into joints and chops, trim made into sausage. Pretty good i thought :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:18:55 pm »
Our local abattoir charge £18 each to kill, up to 100kg.

We butcher ourselves here and charge £20 for a basic cut.  £1.25 per kilo for sausages.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »
Ask how much he would charge to mince the meat and make your own sausages.  You should get the skins back from your abattoir (at least we do) and if all else fails it is not too onerous to fill the skins using a wooden spoon, although a sausage attachment available on some mixers and mincers does make the job easier.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:57:10 pm by Hilarysmum »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:44:51 pm »
Many abattoirs are struggling to survive, and work on small margins. 

I fully expect many more to go in the next five years, so make the most of a short journey whilst you can, and judge the cost by additional petrol to the second nearest.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »
helletts & sons costings for a friends 2 pigs was £39 each kill & cut MLC levey £1.05 + VAT per pig inspection costs £5.50 + VAT per pig sausages £1.09 LB or £1.02 LB burgers they were pleased with the service.

we are going to take some hampshires in next monday to try them out.

gagens charge £20 kill only or £40 kill and cut sausages 95p lb (if you want extra sausages made, the ones from the trimmings are priced in the K & C ).

Mel

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:24:33 pm »
helletts & sons costings for a friends 2 pigs was £39 each kill & cut MLC levey £1.05 + VAT per pig inspection costs £5.50 + VAT per pig sausages £1.09 LB or £1.02 LB burgers they were pleased with the service.

we are going to take some hampshires in next monday to try them out.

gagens charge £20 kill only or £40 kill and cut sausages 95p lb (if you want extra sausages made, the ones from the trimmings are priced in the K & C ).

Maybe I had misheard him,I understood it was £24.00 plus the £40-£50.00 etc.Please do let me know how you get on.The Gent I spoke to seemed a really nice and very helpful.Thanks for posting this!

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:42:36 pm »
will report back after i have collected them week friday.

i paid the a visit today just to see how they operate, my parents used to use them some 25 years back and were always pleased with the service.
have you been to visit.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:40 pm »
I feel quite fortunate having a good, small abattoir just 15 minutes away which does a kill and cut for between £35 and £40, depending on what I ask for re. butchery. They do an excellent job at butchering, too - unlike some places which are a bit "rough and ready" when cutting up.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:35:56 pm »
Which abbatoir is that Liz - we are looking out for somewhere local for our pigs in June.   Looks as though I may have to hire a trailer too as ours doesn't have side/ramp gates, would you know of anywhere local?

Mel

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 08:40:06 pm »
will report back after i have collected them week friday.

i paid the a visit today just to see how they operate, my parents used to use them some 25 years back and were always pleased with the service.
have you been to visit.
No i have not visited them yet,just spoken over the phone.looking forward to your results!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:18:36 pm »
Craig, the abattoir I use is Havard's in Caerphilly. Really good place - only a small operation, but has been there for a couple of generations. Not only does Dai butcher really well, but he is patient and caring with the pigs when they arrive. Where are you, then?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:53:52 pm »
Pontyclun/Llantrisant - not far at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS