Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daisy is MAD at me!  (Read 2824 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Daisy is MAD at me!
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »
Yesterday my OH turned one of my big stables into the maternity ward, made a creep area, put 2 bales of straw in for her, some dust extracted shavings for piglets, set up heat lamp. Have been cleaing out the borders in the garden so have thrown in huge chunks of grass roots for her as ell as carrots, pig nuts, garlic bread (with parsley don't you know!).

She still hates me for shutting her in! Every time she hears me she yells and barks her head off ... managed to get her to enjoy a tummy rub last night for a couple of minutes but then she's was instantly back to disliking me again!

The other two are in hefield outside the sables so she can hear them and they seem to reassuring on another. I got OH to put 3 struts of 2x6 timber on steel cups accross the door which we can steps over (just over knee height). Opened the door to feed her this morning and she plowed straight through them!! Ungrateful pig! >:( :pig:

So yes, currently very unhappy ... will probably turn out to just be fat after all the hassle!! ::) :)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Daisy is MAD at me!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:44:28 pm »
Don't take it personally, she can't help it she's hormonal  ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:33 pm »
poor Daisy ... what a mean pig-keeper you must be, making all those arrangements & modifications for her, when all she wants to do is let nature decide when she's ready!!!   ;)  ::D
 (ungrateful little madam!!)

how long do you think it'll be?
Little Blue

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:03:09 am »
Oh dear ... OH went into the feed room this morning to make breakfasts and when I shouted to him Tulip and Bacon came galloping up to the house! They'd obviously jumped the fence (They're ridiculously athletic!) and went and spent the night in my mare's stable next door to Daisy ... we wondered why she wasn't screaming at first light this morning! ::)

So I think we've decided to let her out with them during the day and bring them all in at night with the 2 girls in next door so she will stay a bit calmer. They still have access to the stable but she won't go in there unless there's food involved!

Still no signs of tiny piggies, although I SWEAR I felt something move in her tummy last night ... could have been wind though as she did a hige fart just after! :-\ :-[

Teats are Huuuge! No Milk, her back end was really very swollen on Saturday and very pink but now back to normal ... maybe because we've been having lots of arguements about who's right and who's not!! ;D :pig: :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:08:27 am »
Naughty piggies  ;D

2 bales of straw? be careful you don't lose the newborns (when they arrive  :D ) sounds a little deep for a maternity wing  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:42 am »
Keep watching her, I don't think she's got that much longer to go by the sounds of things  ;)
As Beewyched says, be careful with the straw, it's easy for a newborn to get caught up in the straw and squished if mum lies down.
Pigs eh ? Gotta love 'em  ;D :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:50:56 pm »
It's a 12'x17' stable and I found I needed a covering don at the other end where she keeps weeing! I will take some pictures to try and show you all!

My OH will be crazy angry at me if she's not having little ones!! :o ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:53:09 pm »
Dont panic, Edwina was due 4th  August. She showed all the signs except making the nest.   Eventually shoved her back in with the boar  mid September when it became clear she was not in pig.  Beg. October Ed gave birth to 4.  I know she must have got back in with the boar after we had taken her out but no idea when or how.  Obviously she has been taking lessons from H.  However she didnt show at all for the second part of the pregnancy until about 3 days before she actually gave birth. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS