Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much space for my weaners?  (Read 2928 times)

sjw

• Joined Mar 2011
How much space for my weaners?
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:18:52 am »
I'm considering keeping a couple of weaners to raise to pork-weight in my garden and was just wondering what sort of advice people might give about the minimum size of space in which this could be done kindly. (NB I realise that the smaller the area they are given, the more mess they will make of it, but that's the main reason for wanting to keep them as contained as possible!)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: How much space for my weaners?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:53:55 am »
I guess you could keep them in a pig sty if you were so minded.  However to my mind, the larger area the better, thats the joy of free range pigs, they root and dig huge holes which they then fill in again and the muscle they produce makes superb pork, the stuff they root out and eat adds to the flavour of the meat.  The smaller the area the quicker they will wreck it, and the quicker they will become bored and may well escape.  (Pigs are amazing escape artists when they get it into their heads that the grass is greener on the other side.)  So as much land as you can give them, ideally separated into two pens so that when one is resembling a moonscape they can be moved into the other.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:25:49 am »
What size is your garden ?
Do you have neighbours either side ?
Have you thought about the storage of foodstuffs, smell etc :-\
I don't want to sound negative, but if it's a smallish town/village garden you might find yourself having problems. (If I've got it wrong and you've got an acre or something then please forgive me) I'm not trying to discourage you - but you've got to think it through very carefully. Especially if you have got close neighbours who might complain.
I'm with HM, give them as much space as possible - as a minimum probably something like 20m x 20m, but having somewhere to move them off halfway through when they've destroyed the bit they are in is very handy. Fencing is the most important thing, especially if you're keeping them in a small area - once they've rooted it all up, they'll be looking for fresh stuff - any if there are any weaknesses in your fence, they will be off.
Where are you ? It would probably be a very good idea to visit some people in your area who keep pigs, you can see what they do and what space they have before deciding on whether it's possible.
HTH
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:31:50 am »
Yep, agree with HM - the more space the happier  :pig: & the better tasting  :pig: :yum:

Not sure what breed you are thinking about, as different breeds mature at different rates.  For "free-ranging" (with the additional feed appropriate for the breed) I would suggest 6 piggies per acre, split into rotating paddocks.

:love: :pig:

Just noticed HH posted whilst I was typing this  :wave:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

sjw

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:39:00 am »
Thanks guys. I went on a course about pig-keeping last summer, so know a fair bit about the basic requirements etc, but have only just got to the stage where we are moving somewhere suitable to actually be able to consider getting some. The garden is a good size and not directly adjoining any neighbours, so don't think smells/noise etc would be an issue. I am also renting an acre next to the property, but am not keen to run the pigs on that as it's obviously not my land, so am assuming the owner would be unamused by pig-activity there and would prefer something that grazes rather than roots!

As a result I was planning to keep that land for other livestock, but am very keen to have a couple of weaners and, as the garden is my own land, it's up to me what happens to it in terms of mess! I realise that the more space the better, but from other things I have read in the past, it seemed possible to keep them somewhere small-ish, provided the fencing is good and they are only there a very few months. If I did this only once a year, the ground would have chance to recover in between, with a bit of tlc and re-seeding. At least, that was my thought.... But obviously I've never actually done it, hence my request for ASF people's wisdom and experience!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS