Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Aunty' has delivered  (Read 5685 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
'Aunty' has delivered
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »
And to think she was going to be bacon!!! 'aunty' petal popped out nine beautiful piglets in just under two hours tonight! Slow to get going but had a very small, mummified piglet in the way to get out first (which she ate half way through- not something I expected!!!) she then fire the rest out in quick succession.

Thanks to Glenside Farm for her lodging over Xmas in some awful weather - your boar has saved her (from being) bacon.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: 'Aunty' has delivered
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:13:29 pm »
Congratulations - well done Petal  :)

Piccys soon please  :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:45 am »
Oh thats such a lovely story  pictures please

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:27 am »
And to think she was going to be bacon!!! 'aunty' petal popped out nine beautiful piglets in just under two hours tonight! Slow to get going but had a very small, mummified piglet in the way to get out first (which she ate half way through- not something I expected!!!) she then fire the rest out in quick succession.

Thanks to Glenside Farm for her lodging over Xmas in some awful weather - your boar has saved her (from being) bacon.
We had a thread on this subject of sows eating  piglets early  on and this was supposed to be against the pig production rules in the UK.... so how  come you have mentioned it here.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:33:05 am »
I weigh 13 stone, she weighs about 30.  She has sharp teeth.  I like my fingers.  She was grumpy.  I didn't particularly want to get in wth her.  It was on the floor.  She got up.  She ate it.  I wasn't going to stop her.

Next time she's farrowing feel free to come down and get in the pen with her to stop such an occurence.

Thanks for adding so much to the thread.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:43 pm »
I weigh 13 stone, she weighs about 30.  She has sharp teeth.  I like my fingers.  She was grumpy.  I didn't particularly want to get in wth her.  It was on the floor.  She got up.  She ate it.  I wasn't going to stop her.

Very descriptive!!  ;D ;D ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
Congratulations Captain  :wave: And Aunty too  ;)  :pig: :love: :pig:
Photo's please  ;D ;D ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 09:41:19 pm »
well done Aunty pig! 
Little Blue

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:48:26 am »
Some pics of the new arrivals!  We lost the runt this morning- he hadn't been doing too well so we'd been topping him up but he was just too weak. Still, 8 beautiful strong piglets to keep Aunty busy!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:51:25 am »

:love: :pig: :love:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:30:31 pm »
Well done that pig! And had she read the pig production rules or was she just doing what instinct demanded?? :pig:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:39:34 pm »
Well done that pig! And had she read the pig production rules or was she just doing what instinct demanded?? :pig:

I had left her a copy, fully fabloned up, in her pen prior to her giving birth so I'm really confused why she ate it.

;D  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »
I've heard of bitches doing that too - it is instinct and they are so quick you are rarely able to get there first!  Funnily enough my dogs don't want to read the KC rules either  ;) ;) ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 09:09:51 am »
Awwwww!!! They are super cute!  :love: :pig: :love: :pig:

Bleurgh ... I have tried so hard to make Daisy a discerning, lady like pig ... lord knows what my reaction will be like when she starts eating her own children, nature can be pretty gross! ;) ;D

Liquidator

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Dornoch, Sutherland, Highlands
  • It's a Landrover thing, you wouldn't understand :)
    • Ospisdale Herd of Gloucestershire Old Spots
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 10:33:41 am »
Great looking piglets, love some of the markings. Well done 'Aunty'

I'm interested in your use of the heat lamp. Do you always use this with your new borns?

Our recent litter of 11 from 'Lady' had a runt which didn't look like it would last the night and my 'Trouble & Strife' (TAS) decided she would bottle feed it. She set up in a box in our dining room with a heat lamp and proceeded to feed the runt every 3 hours. Within 2 days it was walking by itself and at 5 days we put it back with the sow and the rest of the litter. One of the little gilts got squashed by the sow on day 7, so we're down to 10 and they all seem to be thriving, although the runt still gets a bottle 3 times a day!!!

I released them to a nursery pen at the weekend and they loved getting out to the grass. The runt is very vocal and quite tame compared to the others. I can see me having problems getting the TAS to agree to sell her on to someone else!!
You gotta ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky'?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS