Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Artificial Insemination  (Read 10374 times)

AndrewMawson

• Joined Jun 2009
  • East Sussex
Artificial Insemination
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:41 pm »
Anyone had a sow inseminated by the AI man? Any idea what it costs? I don't have a boar, and Martha will need 'doing' in a couple of months - strikes me AI saves a lot of hassle taking her to the boar and having someone elses feed bill for a few weeks!

AWEM
East Sussex

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Artificial Insemination
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 11:36:47 pm »
AI is quite easy to do yourself.  There have been a few threads on here about it, worth taking a look.

I have AI'd in the past and used Deerpark in NI for the semen.  You give them a ring and they send it out for next day delivery.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:50:05 am »
Not promoting another site but this is  a really good article

http://pigsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=88

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:58:21 am »
That's a great article HM  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:17 am »
Hi

We use AI on two of our sows - and have been successful - mind you I had to sit on one as if in a saddle  to stop her chasing my husband - (like riding a horse) only then could he administer the semen - but she liked it and it got results. The other sow was a bit sniffy about it but was receptive. We use Deerpark and they are really helpful.   

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:05 pm »
I read the french article and see they say a boar is unnecessary, but I and no commercial farmers would ever AI without a boar infront of the sow. The sight, sound and smell of a boar is very important in making AI work at its very best.
I suppose the trouble for a smallholder is that if you are going to need a boar then you might as well use it to serve your sows, hence there would be no point in the extra cost of AI and doing it.
There used to be a product called "Boar Mate" that could be squirted at a gilt/sow to imitate the boar smell(I have heard in some countries that it is not permitted before an arguement erupts and am unsure of UK legislation on this product and have rarely used it, and when I did, as with feed-back, it was a long time ago. In the 1980's I think).
Can this product or any other still be used as a replacement for a boar??????????
What were your litter sizes like??? Did you only AI them once or twice(am and am or pm and pm, etc.,)?
AI should also not be squeeze in but should be sucked in by the sow if the process is being done correctly, so did you have to suck or squeeze the AI in???

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:45:09 pm »
Hi Stevie

We are talking about pigs kept in open paddocks here. I have no experience with barn or intensively reared pigs. For our two experienced Berkshire sows (both have  been served by a boar with previous owner) we have AI'd, a boar was certainly not required. We do not use any other 'artificial aids '! The two sows have different 'needs' so I will take you through them
Sow 1. Comes on regular heat and is very receptive but likes to have someone 'sitting' on her back during the process. We know her well and my wife does this while I am attending to business at the back. She will stand for around 10 mins before she gets bored. I have normally got most of the bottle in by this time. She gets 3 servings AM/PM/AM or PM/AM/PM driven by the arrival of the semen from Deerpark. I squeeze the bottle lightly.
Her first litter for us was 17 of which 13 were delivered live. She is now due to deliver again in June following another successful AI but manage one bottle this time so it will be interesting to see the results but to date she has not returned to serve.

Sow 2. Comes on heat and is very playful, she is better with a boar. (It must be the foreplay) She will stand then move around and I have to follow her often losing contact between the catheta and the bottle which just gets re-connected once I catch up with her. She again gets three servings although with the process described above, she often only gets half a bottle and a lot gets lost. I really have to squeeze the bottle.
Her first AI litter for us was 8 all delivered live. She has recently been with a boar and has just given us 11 healthy piglets.

Have not used AI on a gilt.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 05:28:20 pm »
well it is a mater of preference the real deal V turkey baster

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:20 pm »
"...   likes to have someone 'sitting' on her back during the process. We know her well and my wife does this while I am attending to business at the back      .....  Thank God for our boar George

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 01:35:50 pm »
well it is a mater of preference the real deal V turkey baster

Seeing as you've choosen to make this remark I will give you this answer Lillian.
You are asuming that I have only been involved in intensive pig farming, but that is not the case as for along, long time I've done outdoor pig farming aswell.
So now look who's information is incorrect.
Something I have learnt from our last encounter, never presume that what your saying is right, unless you are 100% sure! :wave:
What you should have done is learnt from my mistake.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 02:09:03 pm »
stevie G where are you comming from eh!!!!!!
there was no comment in my post to you  so why infer that i am
there are some on hear the last time they cracked a smile was when the midwife skelped there buttocks :o :o :o
get real and stop thinking that there are subliminal messages  :wave: :wave:

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:49 pm »
Hi

We use AI on two of our sows - and have been successful - mind you I had to sit on one as if in a saddle  to stop her chasing my husband - (like riding a horse) only then could he administer the semen - but she liked it and it got results. The other sow was a bit sniffy about it but was receptive. We use Deerpark and they are really helpful.   

Nelson, if what your doing works then don't change it!
Its the way you are going about it that makes it work.
Posted a long tread and have lost it, and as its late, I am now heading for my bed.

This says it all to me though really! Click on Pigsinfrance and scroll down to the bottom of the article.

A gilt/sow standing rigid on the otherside of an electric fence, with 2 boars standing on the otherside!!!!
Need I say more!

AI is easier with a boar present( unless, of course, you have two people in on the act).

From the Turkey baster/real thing. :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »
Stevie G - what are you going on about  ???
How can Lillian saying it's someone's personal choice whether to AI or use natural service have anything to do with you, what you've said or how much experience you've got  ::)
Please take time to read threads properly before you post replies - you're turning almost every thread into a warzone  :-\

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »
[Nelson, if what your doing works then don't change it!
This says it all to me though really! Click on Pigsinfrance and scroll down to the bottom of the article.

A gilt/sow standing rigid on the otherside of an electric fence, with 2 boars standing on the otherside!!!!
Need I say more!

Stevie G I scrolled down to the bottom of the article but could not see any boar.    I am not being intentionally contentious just confused and I have to admit to having a few senior citizen moments.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 01:01:01 pm »
[Nelson, if what your doing works then don't change it!

Need I say more!

Stevie G I scrolled down to the bottom of the article but could not see any boar.    I am not being intentionally contentious just confused and I have to admit to having a few senior citizen moments.

I obviously thought I had scrolled to the bottom and it was only half way down.
I refering to the two ginger boars on the other side of the electric fence and the sow standing rigid.
You wouldn't get a sow to stand there too long otherwise, certainly not without alot of back pressure.
Its by far much easier with a boar, than without.
And of course even easier if the boar does it for you himself!
Cost is the biggest draw back(pardon the pun). ;D :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS