Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I consider AI?  (Read 3023 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Should I consider AI?
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
You'll all be sick of me soon enough!

Now we are thinking that Daisy is pregnant already, we are wondering what to do with Tulip ... the original plan was to get the boar in last week but that's obviously gone out of the window a bit!

I'd be greatful if you could let me know what you would do in my position? :-[

We have 3 pigs ... Daisy (potentially going to drop any week), Tulip (planned to breed from her this year) and "Bacon" (three guesses what she's for! ;))

Bacon can go anytime from now. Daisy will be coing in at some point to farrow. Tulip needs to get pregnant!

Should I take Bacon away and bring in a boar? I'm worried this will be stressful for Daisy with some big strange brute running around! We have been told we can take Tulip to the boar but I'm worried about moving her somewhere and then bringing her back when we might have piglets in case she picks something up! Should I keep Bacon with Daisy and sort Tulip out seperately? Ot should I look into AI for Tulip ... and if so can anyone give me an idea on how I would go about it and the potential cost involved ... or indeed if it is worth it when I'm not after pedigree stock?

Alternatively, please feel free to tell me I'm being an absolute pansy and molly coddling them too much! :-[ ::)

HappyHippy

Re: Should I consider AI?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:58:09 am »
Personally, I think a natural service first time round is the way to go. ;) ;D :love: :pig: :love:
The way I'd do it is :
If you're bringing Daisy in to farrow take Tulip to the boar and bacon you know where at the same time. Bringing a boar to you has the potential to affect Daisy and her piglets as well as Tulip, plus he'll be busy marking his territory and may not give Tulip the attention she deserves.
Daisy will be occupied with nest building and then piglets and won't notice Tulip's absence ;)
Check out the boar before Tulip goes, ask about health status of the herd (any good breeder will be only to happy to share this info) and let your eyes be your guide.
Keep Tulip seperate for a couple of weeks on her arrival back, by which time the piglets will be weaning. Once you're sure Tulip is fine, pop her back in with Daisy and move the piglets as far away as possible (definately out of sight) for a week to 2 weeks before sending them to their new homes.
HTH
Karen x

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:11:08 am »
Thanks Karen (as always!).

I will get that arranged then! Should I wait until Daisy shows immenent signs before sending the othet two away? (will probably get rid of Bacon next week to make life a bit easier). ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:47 pm »
Daisy will need to be seperated about a week to 2 weeks before - you'll maybe see signs of nesting. It's tricky cos you don't know the dates, when do you think Daisy is due ? If it's around 2-3 weeks maximum, it should be okay for Tulip to go to the boar when bacon goes away, or anytime thereafter.
HTH
Karen x

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:24:21 pm »
That's the problem. I have a feeling that it will be a couple of weeks. Still no sign of any milk as yet. I will take some more pictures this evening to show you all but won't be able to upload them util Monday morning now!

We are off to the vets on Saturday to pick up all of our bits and pieces. A few more questions if you don't mind!!

Can I worm her on Saturday (injection) or is it too close for her to be done?
I have arranged Oxytocin, towels, lubricant, a new bulb for the heat lamp, fresh straw for her and dust extracted shavings for the creep area, long gloves (please god don't let me need these!!), our neighbour will be baking her a fresh loaf of banana bread as soon as she starts (her most very favourite!), and some stout! Is there anything else I need apart from my alarm to be set at regular intervals?!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »
You're organised  ;) You'll be fine.
Get yourself a bottle of wine and a comfy seat for sitting in the shed, a camera for photos and a big dose of bravery - you're heart will start hammering when she starts to farrow (or maybe that's just me  ::))
You'll be fine to worm her before they come, are you moving her indoors ? If so do it then and give her the new straw (well, some of it) to build her nest. You'll need to pull out all the old stuff after she farrows and burn it.
But other than that, maybe some litter case to give the piglets a flying start (but it's not essential) but you've got everthing sorted  ;D
Karen x

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:53:47 pm »
I'll be needing something a bit stiffer than wine I reckon! ;) I'm terrified already! It's funny because I'm fine if a horse is foaling - might be because they generally only have one! All of our friends are betting on how many she might have. I said 4 ... Rob reckons 15  ::) :dunce:

Litter Case - what is this? I will get some! Also been advised that it's a good idea to dig up some mud for little ones to lick at ... is this correct? They will probably need to stay in for at least a week ... I presume this will ok too?

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »
Sorry ! My spelling lol!  Litter CARE  ::) https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/litter-care-240ml-p-196.html
A clump of earth for the piglets to nibble at (saves you having to give them an iron injection) just put it in the creep area. Or the bit that's got something across to stop mum getting in to the heat lamp. Once they're up and about they could go out whenever - providing the tempratures aren't too low. Mine are teeny tiny @ 2 weeks old, so are going out next week once I've made sure they're okay without the heatlight. Black's will be much bigger, so just take that bit as it comes.
Everyone (and every pig) is different, once they're here you'll just know when they're ready for the big wide world  ;D
And if you're taking bets - I reckon 11  ;)
Karen x

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 02:20:34 pm »
Ooooh ok, I'll order tomorrow (pay day!) Just straight into the mouth? Also, with oxytocin ... if needed ... is there a best place to give it to her? Thanks for all your help Karen, I'd be a complete mess without you!!  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:35:40 pm »
ai worked second time with dorothy, shes due next month and showing already. for 2 attempts it cost about £40. we had never done it before and it wasnt that hard aslong as you follow the instructions properly, and get the timing right.
 how much is the stud fee for a boar?

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:51:15 pm »
we charge £40 for unregistered boar or £45 for registered boar, also if the boar stays with us and girl stays B&B then we charge for food on a weekly basis :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »
Thanks guys

We have been offered free covering by a nice saddleback boar from a rare breed farmer in Devon. All they have asked is that they get to try some of the meat(will be a saddleback/gos cross) and that we take a sack of feed with us. My partner deals in commercial mortgages for farms and smallholdings so has a lot of useful contacts!

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »
we just had a litter of saddleback x GOS and they are really good strong piglets, growing fast! Good luck  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS