Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would you mind telling me about your set up please?  (Read 3209 times)

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
Would you mind telling me about your set up please?
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:59 am »
Having read a lot of information about pig keeping lately i have found it quite suprising how the recommended space to keep your pigs varies so much. Confusing to say the least. We are starting off small scale with some 'back yard' pigs but are looking to make this into a larger hobby that will hopefully make a small profit. We will be approaching some local landowners to negotiate some land to rent so i am starting to think about how much land we will need and taking into account the cost of fencing etc. at the moment. I don't want to ask for too little and need to renegotiate later nor do i want to be paying for land i don't need.

It would be really helpful to myself and i'm sure other new owners if established pig keepers would be willing to share;
  • How many pigs you keep and for what purpose
    The total amount of land you have for you pigs
    The type of land
    How the land is divided up

Thanks  :)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Would you mind telling me about your set up please?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:26:16 am »
Hiya!  :wave:

We have 1.3 acres for our pigs ... divided into 5 paddocks. I move them every 3 months which means that wherever they have been gets rested for 12 months.

Last year we had 9 weaners on the ground. 6 of them have gone now and we have 3 females left. One of these will be leaving us for Bacon at the end of this month which will elave us with 2 - one Cornish Black and one GOS.

We are breeding this year. Most of the offspring will be sold as weaners but we are keeping 7 back ... 2 for oursleves and 5 for friends and family. We will keep females for ourselves and the other 5 are going to our neighbour who has spare land ... they will stay with him for 4-5 months and he will get a pig out of it for feeding them twice a day (we will still go and check them once a day, replenish feed, check fencing etc).  :pig: ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »
Have you any pictures of your Cornish Black?

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:43:28 pm »
The recommended stocking for pigs (if you're keeping them year round) is 6 per acre.
If you're going to breed you'll need a couple of acres (as a minimum) but if you're only raising a few for slaughter you can get by with a smaller area, say 20m x 30m. BUT with a smaller area you've got to make sure that the fencing is tip top, otherwise once they get bored and have dug up all the ground, they'll be looking for ways to escape - any weaknesses and they'll be off  ;)
The land should be free draining, not heavy clay - because although they like mud in the summer, longer term it's prone to causing arthritus. Permanently wet ground should be avoided for the same reason - but providing at least half the space is dry pigs will be okay. Established woodland is ideal as pigs, by nature, are great forragers and this also provides a bit of shade in the summer.
HTH
Karen x

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:06:51 pm »
Oh alright then! ::) Any excuse to show off the girls!! ;D ;D

Having a nap

Sit!

We're currentl deliberating about whether she is pregnant or not  ???

With her friends  :)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:19:37 pm »
We currently have 3 weaners (coming up to 4 months old) They are in a paddock that is about 25m by 35m in total but which we only gradually open up for them over the 5 months they are with us.
We are keeping 2 pigs for our own meat, and 1 pig is for another member of the family.
Once the pjgs have gone (end July) the area will be rested until Feb/March next year, when we get some more weaners  ;D ;D
Tish

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:42:12 am »
She is gorgeous. 

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:34:11 pm »
Oh alright then! ::) Any excuse to show off the girls!! ;D ;D

Having a nap

Sit!

We're currentl deliberating about whether she is pregnant or not  ???
Se looks like she is pegnant, I dont use a peg test kit, but have access to one, but have for 17 years just observed the bulk of thier body......she just has that look about her that  she might be pregnant.

With her friends  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS