Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Picture of Daisy and her Belly!  (Read 6521 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: Picture of Daisy and her Belly!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 10:20:17 pm »
personally, becuase I'm a bit of a wuss, I'll have a heat lamp rigged up just in case.  Rather that than having to run around rigging one up if something goes wrong!

How baggy is she looking from behind?  Swollen vulva?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 10:25:33 am »
Agree with Captain, can get some nasty surprise weather at this time of year. We tend to put a lamp on at nite and switch off during day.
If she has an udder i would move her in as its likely she'll farrow in a day or two, keep checking for milk, once thats in birth is usually imminent, she will probaly start to build a nest of straw too. Keep checking her as often as you can and in the meantime get your farrowing kit gathered together.
See GOS forum - "Getting Started" - 'Farrowing'if need abit more info.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 07:31:14 pm »
I will try and get her picture of her tomorrow when i get in from work and put it on here, we have only have her about 13 days, so don't know how she will react to me checking her teats, but i will have a go.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »
stick her head in a bucket of nuts (er, sow nuts before anyones gets the wrong idea).  I think you could amputate one of my girl's legs if she had grub in front of her!!!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:37 am »
Maybe I have a bit of breathing space then! I still groping her every few hours ... she thinks it's wonderful!! She also had 2 vanilla scones yesterday because I am a soft touch (OH not happy!)

I can see her udder from behind (through her legs) but only if I bend down very low ... no signs of any milk at all. Have started taking a daily picture so I can judge any changes a bit better! Aaarrgghh!!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:50 am »
Nails, "we have only have her about 13 days, so don't know how she will react to me checking her teats, but i will have a go. "  if she was that close to giving birth she should not have been allowed to move >:(
Moving a heavily pregnant gilt particularly, sow not as bad is extremely stressful, how would you like to give birth in a strange place with people you didn't know. I would very much like to come and give the people who let you take her a jolly good slap >:(
First things first, spend as much time with her as you possibly can, just sitting with her, scratching her nose, rubbing her belly and generally making a fuss otherwise she will not let you near her at farrowing time, make sure you wear the same coat so she smells the same smell everytime you go in with her. Unless she is an extremely laid back pig who has farrowed before you may find yourelf in for a difficult time. i don't want to upset or scare you but you may find she will try to eat her piglets especially if she's a gilt, its a predator/protection thing, you may also find she's a 'bad' mum, won't settle to feed etc. if this happens you will need a Stresnil jab from the vet to calm her down. You may very well be ok but best be prepared.
I hope all goes well for you and fingers crossed for a safe, straightforward delivery. HTh Mandy :pig:

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 06:58:51 pm »
She has had piglets before, and the lady said she was a good mum, we are new to pig keeping, so all the advice is greatfully recieved, she seems to have settled well and does come to us when we call her or go in her pen. she will let us pet her and give her a scratch, but we are still getting to know her as much as she is getting to know us. i will keep in mind what you have said and hope for a safe arrival of piglets in the not to distant future.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS