Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Picture of Daisy and her Belly!  (Read 6522 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Picture of Daisy and her Belly!
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:09 am »
I took a picture yesterday as they were all out enjoying the sun! She'll let me do whatever I like to her so I've had a good feel around. Her teats are a lot bigger than the other two girls and now that I've convnced myself I have an imminent birth on my hands I'm sure they're sticking out a bit more too (diagonally rather than pointing downwards). I personally think she looks like she's "bagging up" (encuse horsey terms!). Her tummy is very low compared to the othet two girls.

I know that in horses I would be looking for Muscles on bottom to slacken, udder to drop, for her to start waxing up on her teats and a rise in temperature as well as a potential discharge. Other than checking her for signs of milk and a swollen vulva, are there any more signs?

Also can somebody please let me know what the best lubricant is to have on hand? (am sending my OH to buy it ... ha!)

I have spoken to the vet about provising me with some oxytocin (sp?). Also, the girls are due to be wormed by injection att he end of the month ... should I do daisy or would it be bad for potential babies?

I bet after all the panic she's just fat!  ::) ;D
Here she is!

Having a rest!

One of Tulip looking happy

And"Bacon"! :o

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Picture of Daisy and her Belly!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:49:43 am »
Looking at the photo i wouldn't say she was imminent, stand behind her and look thro her back legs when you see the belly drop here its a sign she's on her way, her tummy does look rounded but her udder isn't bagged at all from what i can see.
I think Lillian gave you a possible date of this coming weekend, bear in mind they can be anything upto 4 - 7 days late depending when they were served (ours girls are always 4 days late!) so you might not see anything for a few days yet it usually about a week to 10 days before.
Lubricant you do not need but you must have very clean hands washed with soap and hot water and dryed. DO NOT use soap like you see on the vet programs as a lubricant as its an irritant.  DO NOT intervene with the birth unless you have to for example if shes been pushing and straining for 45 mins and nothing is happening. Oxytocin should also only be used as a last resort after checking there is no blocker & to bring on dispelling of the afterbirth or to speed up contractions if the birth is being long and arduous but then i would expect you to take advice from the vet on this. (put him on your speed dail!)
You can worm her it won't do any harm but sooner rather than later. We normally do ours a week before anyway.
She looks well happy as do your other pigs. Fingers crosssed for you. HTH
Best regards
Mandy  :pig:

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:03:12 am »
Hi,

Look for frantic "nest Building" our saddlebacks do this 24 hours before farrowing.

Also try to milk her - if she has milk then you are within 48 hours.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:38:07 am »
is that GRASS in your pig enclosure....   how did that happen!   ;D

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:08 am »
I reckon you've got some breathing space - like Fowgill said, look for the udder to drop from behind is the surest sign for me, and a tightening of the udders.  I had the exact same fears that Pepper was just fat, we're expecting her to explode any day soon.  Probably with a single knowing my luck!!!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:53:10 am »
Thank you all! I have been trying to "milk her" twice a day since Friday morning ... nothing as yet!

Craig ... they only moved in last Sunday ... they've done a good job in a week! I tried telling them that they're in there for the next 3 months but they took no notice!

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:57:34 am »
Don't bug her too much! When she's ready, she's ready.  Trust me you'll know!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:58 pm »
Don't worry captain ... all hell breaks loose if she doesn't get her morning belly rub when she throws herself on the ground, she quite happy to be groped!!  ::) ;D

I've told the horses that they'll be getting turfed out as soon as she shows any signs ... Bella's stable is her maternity ward!

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:11:31 pm »
I was convinced my large black X was imminent too when she looked like this with her first litter - in gact I was a whole season (three weeks) out - the teats bags up individually like lots of little boobs before - I could milk Ruby while her teats were like this but it was still a while before teats 'bagged up' and then has been said she made a huge nest and had them a few hours later. x

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 01:35:28 pm »
My Tamworth gilt had milk for 5 days before she dropped her first litter, I got her into the stable on the Tuesday and waited and waited by the time Sunday came around she looked throughly bored at not being able to go out. I almost let her out in the field for the morning while we took the donkeys up to the church for the Palm sunday service ( Don't ask!!) but when we got back she had had them!

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:36 pm »
My poor Ruby was in three weeks looking at me soft! I kept letting her out in the yard as it was August - the poor poor girl!! She ahd them in september!! :-/ Doh x

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 01:46:12 pm »
My Tamworth gilt had milk for 5 days before she dropped her first litter, I got her into the stable on the Tuesday and waited and waited by the time Sunday came around she looked throughly bored at not being able to go out. I almost let her out in the field for the morning while we took the donkeys up to the church for the Palm sunday service ( Don't ask!!) but when we got back she had had them!

6 days in a stable, waiting with your pig - now that is dedication to pig keeping everyone has to admire!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:54 pm »
for her to start waxing up on her teats

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 03:53:16 pm »
When horses are close to foaling their udders will produce a thick waxy discharge just before their milk. I wasn't sure if it might not be the same with pigs though. Would feel a lot more confident if she was a horse!!  :)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:33:47 pm »
Oh goodness, looking at your piggie i think mine is ready to drop!!! she has udders, trouble is she was pregnant when we got her, and they couldn't give me an exact day she is due, could be the end of the month or could be mid april, when shall i get her in? or shall i leave her till she starts building her nest and then get her in? Also will they need a heat lamp or is the weather now warm enough for them?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS