Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tooth ache?  (Read 3507 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
tooth ache?
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:54 pm »
Murphy, my gorgeous Kune kune boar has, quite frankly, never been really fit & strong - he's had one problem after another   ::)
(But I dont want to part with him  :pig:   :-* )

The latest problem is that he become really thin, worse than when he was comatose & bottle-fed glucose solution for nearly a week.   :o
He is keen on his food, and since being back with the girls, even eats his veg (he didnt before!)

his tusks are now quite long - could it be that his developing tusks are making it hard for him? 
he takes a good mouthful of food, but often walks inside the shed to chew & doesnt seem to snaffle up as much as the others (even though he takes bigger mouthfuls)

he is just over a year old - how long before his tusks are fully grown & "settled" in his jaw?
and any suggestion of a good way to build him up?
(they already have: pig meal, shredded beet flakes, mixed flakes, grass, hay, willow branches, veg, fruit, weeds, cooked potatoes)

thanks   :)
Little Blue

HappyHippy

Re: tooth ache?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:43:22 pm »
Hiya LB,
I don't think I'll be a lot of use, but here goes.........
Have you done the obvious worming ? Might be worth getting a worm count done anyway, just incase he's become resistant (see Supplies for Smallholders website)
Their tusks never really stop growing, sometimes they get so long they are removed to prevent any problems. It could be that they're rubbing and might be a bit painful for him. But it's not something I've heard of before.
Are you able to get a good look into his mouth to look for any obvious problems, is his jaw over or under shot ? I don't know what his previous problems have been, but if it was me I'd probably get a blood test done or question whether a previous illness has returned.
Try cooked (outside, obviously ;)) sweet potatoes and feed them when they're still a little bit warm. All of mine LOVE that  :yum: Maybe give the willow a miss (it could even be that he's got a splinter in his gum ?)
From a breeding point of view (I'm presuming he was the father of your litter ?) I'd be wary of using him again as this may be something which he could be passing on to the piglets. If it would be an option, castrating him might be the way to go - but obviously I wouldn't be rushing into that til I'd ruled everything else out.
The Kune Kune society forum is quite good for advice or email Wendy Scudamore (details on KK society webpage) - she's really helpful and has loads of good advice to give.
Hope he's soon on the mend,
Karen x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:22 am »
Is it possible he has sore gums, a toothache something like that?  Could your vet check this out?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:17:37 pm »
thanks Karen
they are only just wormed, so it could be from that.

his gums & jaw dont look sore, not red or inflamed, but his tusks are getting really obvious.
  I will speak to the vets again. 
he seems happy enough, no obvious signs of pain.

his other problems were:  mange (came with it we think) an injured leg from exuberent playing & (possibly poisoned himself by eating the goats' salt/mineral lick) when he was unable to get up for a time & slept... and slept .... and slept!
  so if stupidity in inherited, then I'll consider castration ;)
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:05:52 am »
so if stupidity in inherited, then I'll consider castration 

;D ;D ;D

How is he today

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:51:21 am »
lol! I hope you understood that I meant illnesses when I spoke about passing things on to the piglets (things like kidney problems, blood disorders etc) Just plain dopey isn't anything to worry about  ;) ;D
You can cut the tusks, but the bases of them would still be in his mouth - so it might not make any difference. My wee boar is 3 now and his tusks are about 2-3 inches, they only just stick out past his (lips?) side of his snout - maybe Murphy's are faster growing ?
Karen x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:20:29 pm »
hi HM.  he is fine as usual today... as I said, he doesnt seem "poorly" at all, just that the weight has dropped off him & he doesn't seem to pile it back on.  Had a friend visit today & they all lined up to grunt at her: "any food? any food?!"

hi HH.  I'll try a guesstimate the length of his tusks - they dont reach past his lips, but do look a lot bigger & thicker than ever!  I know what you meant, Im just not sure whether this time he does have a medical condition/illness that could be inherited?   or treated?   
what could I ask the vet for other than blood tests?
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:35:54 pm »
It probably wouldn't do any harm to have a worm count done (if he's still not gaining in a couple of weeks)
If he seems well in himself and is eating, drinking, pooing with no sign of a temp I think the only way to rule out an underlying issue would be with a blood test  :-\ I don't have a lot more advice than that I'm afraid. I think I've been lucky that I've never had to know more than that. It's worth registering on the KK forum (you don't need to be a member to use it) and asking there, as there are many keepers who have had Kunes for years and years and will know a lot more than me. Failing that either pm, facebook, or email Wendy Scudamore - she's my guru and font of knowledge when it comes to all things Kune shaped  ;)
HTH
Karen x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 07:39:17 pm »
thanks again Karen
:wave:
Little Blue

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:07:41 pm »
I hope he picks up soon and wish I had his weight problems ;D
Happy Hippy you mentioned cooked sweet potato. I give my Kunes raw ones as a treat, they love them. Should I cook them do you think?. I cook ordinary spuds

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:35:52 pm »
I cook mine because the first time of giving them to the piglets I wanted them nice and soft, mum decided she liked them much better cooked (they will eat them raw) and I'm such a softie that I always just cook them now ::) Sweet potatoes are different from 'real' potatoes so I don't think there's the worry of them being poisonous - but as with everything, feed in moderation  ;)
HTH
Karen x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS