Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Own a pig business idea  (Read 8262 times)

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
Re: Own a pig business idea
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »
For the past 2 years we have kept 3 pigs and shared the cost of them and looking after them with our friends.  At slaughter time, we each get 1 1/2 pigs - perfect for each family (we eat a lot of pork!!).  We have now expanded this philosophy to cattle, and share 3 highland cattle with our friends - we have just had one back from slaughter (shared it out again) and the beef is FANTASTIC!!

This system works for us, I believe, because we keep it small - just us and one other family.  Other people have asked if they can join in and I have politely declined, only because I think it could get messy and difficult to manage.  However, if you had the time to devote to it and oodles of land, it could be something you could successfully expand.  Good Luck!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:56 pm »
I have 11 acres in total, in theory the pigs have the whole of it, but realistically most of the time they run over about 6.  You dont need anything like that amount of land though to do this very successfully. 

I cant comment on prices as its so very different here.  I would go for it if you are keen, the very worst that could happen is you will have some cheap pork when one or two people drop out.  I have a butcher who will cut bespoke so customer just gives a list of how they want their pork done.  I dont charge extra for bacon and sausages.  I "sell" them at six weeks although of course they stay with mum longer.  I tend to do them at 8 months, if its shorter because they have reached weight early then its more profit.

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 10:21:02 am »
  I tend to do them at 8 months,

so do u castrate them?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:35:30 pm »
I  never castrate, occasionally I can inveigle a dear friend to do it for me.  Normally they are not castrated these days except when a customer specifically requests them to be.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS