Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Own a pig business idea  (Read 8261 times)

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
Own a pig business idea
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:22:28 pm »
Just wondering what people thought about this as a business idea and if anyone knows of anywhere that already does it.

We are gtting our first pigs in a couple of weeks, one of our friends have asked whether next time we get some (assuming all goes well this time) they could pay us to keep one for them. That way they can visit their pig with their daughter when they want to and get all the benefits of pig owning without the time or the space as well as reasonable priced outdoor reared, rare breed pork that they can be sure has been reared in a manner they are happy with. When i have mentioned this to other people several others have said they would be interested too. I was thinking that in a few years time and if we could find enough land we could have a scheme where people pay monthly for their pig which they can name and visit and give scratches etc. At the end of the 6 months they would have a pig butchered to their requirements and delivered to their door. I imagine most people would split the pork with friends or family.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Own a pig business idea
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »
I think this might be a good idea, just try with a few pigs and see how  you go, and see how people react with their pigs.  I would be mindful of people that might have a cold or flu, asthey can give it ti their pig and then spead it around the farm.   Worth thinking about such things before you actually  go down this road.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »
I have done this for some years fairly successfully.  Bear in mind that people who dont farm have no idea of your timetable, be prepared to have people turning up on spec to see their pig, (mostly at weekends) often bringing another dozen (no exageration) people with them; and have plenty of teabags and biscuits ready.  As long as you like people and are prepared to go the extra mile to make them welcome it works well.  Take a deposit, draw up an agreement in writing, and imho its best to be clear as to what weight of meat they are expecting from their pig, and to agree beforehand who organises the butchery etc.  Dont underprice yourself, pig food has shot up this year.  Allow a small percentage in case you need a vet, and in the very worst cases, make sure you have a spare pig just in case. (Hope this is never needed).  Its good fun, you should make a small profit and if they do back out (and some do) you will be left with cheap and delicious pork.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:30:31 pm »
if i don't get my own land in the next year or so this is a route i have thought about going down as a buyer having seen a few such schemes advertised.

as with any business if you do your research and get your pricing right you could do ok from it!!!

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 02:19:24 pm »
it was mentioned on here a while back. sounds interesting, i know a friend that would def be interested in that, but is that breaking the rule of mixing friends and business. how much would u charge, wud it go up every month as they eat more or be the same each month? who pays the killing cost or is that included, what if they stop paying - who then owns the pig, and what if they want to keep it as a pet? do they own it from day one or "hire purchase?"
id love to see a example contract... :) :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 02:58:31 pm »
I was offered a lamb like that but I felt if I got involved with it throughout it's life I couldn't eat it so went for the preferred option of buying it already packaged.  Ok, Ok, I'm a woos,  :-[but at least I know it! ::) ::)  I've always said I'm a fake smallholder because I can't eat my own animals but can eat anyone else's ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:03:57 am »
how much would u charge,   Its best to work out your costs then add a percentage which seems reasonable to you for your hard work, and how much your customer is prepared to pay, i.e. cost locally of quality free range pork + the cost of the weaner.

wud it go up every month as they eat more or be the same each month?  Can only speak for myself, I divide the costs by the number of pre-agreed months aprox. 8

who pays the killing cost or is that included  It would have been discussed with the client at the time of booking.  I prefer to arrange both killing and butchering which is included in the original costs and coverred in the monthly payment.

what if they stop paying - who then owns the pig,  Written into the agreement that if they stop paying, or miss payments they will be offered to option to pay at the time of slaughter.  If not I have a cheaper carcass.

if they want to keep it as a pet?  That's fine, as long as they take it away from our land and are paid up to that date.

do they own it from day one or "hire purchase?"    They pay for the piglet as a weaner up front.  So technically they own it.  They pay monthly for the feed and slaughter and butchering are normally paid over the same period.  So yes they own the pig.

Contracts have to be drawn up between seller and client and may need adjustments to suit.

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.
Make sure it is very clear to both parties and that both parties are happy with the agreement. 

a

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:23:12 am »
Thanks so much for the feedback.
Part of the thing that appeals to me about this idea is that it is something that i can grow slowly over a few years hopefully through word of mouth but potentialy start as soon as next spring with friends and family and see how it goes.
Hilarysmum your responses were really helpful as that pretty much answered the questions i had about how best to make it work. I think initially i would insist on arranging the killing and butchering for simplicity.

Oooh even more excited about my pig plans now, should perhaps rein myself in a little and see how we go with the first ones though ::) ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »
I divide the costs by the number of pre-agreed months aprox. 8 months

do u kill urs at 8 mths?
wud u start the "deal" as the weaner is 8 weeks or sooner?
would u cut the meat up in a standard manner (the butcher that is) what if they wanted things cut up differently or curing done. would u just charge extra at end?
im quite keen on this idea. can we talk prices? i was thinking £50 up front then £10 a week for 4 months. from 8 weeks to 6mths. would be a total cost to the customer of £210 for the carcass. or i could sell my own finished pig for £120 per half.
how realistic does that sound? honestly...

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:36:29 pm »
There is a company in the York area I think that already have an adopt a pig idea, they have a really good website www.yorkshiremeats.co.uk

There was an article in the Yorkshire Post newspaper about them, you could maybe have a look at what they do but it sounds similar to what you want to do. We have just got 3 weaners and 2 have already been 'adopted' by our friends. The problem is what happens if they get poorly, too fat etc since I am worred one might want some fat on the pig and the other wants no fat??

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:01 pm »
My family in yorkshire told me about a scheme like this that they'd heard of. They went and chose a pig - but after visiting it and being involved couldn't eat it like you say. x

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 01:19:42 pm »
I would agree how the pig is fed at the start. Would plan to start the deal at weaners initially as we will be buying them in but once we are established people could buy their piglet as soon as they are born. As far as them getting poorly we would absorb any additional vets costs, that would be the main risk element of the business but provided they are managed well the risk should be relatively low. I would plan on agreeing with the customer how they want the pig butchered and if there are additional costs involved in what they want (for example all sausages) This cost would be passed on. It would be made clear from the start what is included in the initial price.

Interested in what people think about prices, princesspiggy thats in the region of what i was thinking although we would probably have to review prices each year.

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 02:20:39 pm »
what area are u in porkand apples?
i think keeping a few spare weaners would solve the problem of unexpected illness.
my litters due in may so meat would be ready at end of nov, if think the weather then would deter people from visiting too much and getting too attached...maybe. id be happy with 3 people to trial the idea at first. you live and learn...!! ;D ;D

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 04:38:52 pm »
There's a smallholding down here that does the 'own a pig' idea
http://www.apigofmyown.co.uk

Check out their marketing  ;D

Tish

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »
I'm in the Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire border area.

I really like the pigofmy own website, thats exactly what i was thinking.

Hilary, how much land do you run your scheme on? I'm not thinking of making this a huge venture, just keeping it local. Was thinking i'd probably build up to 2 breeding sows and a boar and ideally keep all the pigs outdoors and free ranging all year round. Will need to make enquiries with our local farmer friend about the possibility of renting more land in the future.

A friend has come up with a couple of complimentary ideas for increasing profit, i think a business plan is emerging!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS