Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling to the public  (Read 3577 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Selling to the public
« on: March 19, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »
Hi I'm wondering how difficult it is to become certified to sell pork to the general public. Very I suspect but can anyone comment and or point me in the direction of research materials please.
Cheers

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: Selling to the public
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:35:50 pm »
God just read sarhas post with replies from oaklands and others from nov... Forget it ! I'll buy a lot of freezers and push the meat now with friends!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:33:38 am »
remember friends is a broard description, vague aquantances will do random folks off the internet so long as you know them vaguely etc. etc. are all fine...

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:53:45 am »
Thanks bloomer that would be my take too. I have a lot of friends and my village is a small and reasonably affluent one so I will be spreading the word via the local pub too :-)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:04:55 am »
Add value, bacon, speciality sausages, pork pies, gala pies (especially if you have your own free range hens).

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:40:02 am »
Helen,
If your butcher does all the packing and wrapping and you store meat for sale seperately from that which is used for your personal use, there's really no problem in selling direct to 'friends & family' (it's a very broad ranging description as Bloomer says ;))
Another way is to have everyone collect the meat direct from the butcher once it's done (though you'd have to check with the butcher it's ok with them)
It's once you enter the realms of selling at Farmer's markets and via the net that the legislation really kicks in or if you're considering doing your own cuting and processing. I'm currently thinking of finding out how difficult it would be to get approval for processing meat products that have been cut and packed by an approved source as it might not be as convoluted as those regulations for actually doing the butchery - but I haven't actually looked into it yet ::) Will let you know how I get on when I do.
Karen x

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »
i worked in catering for years, how hard can it be to pass the required standards if u have clean premises, reliable freezers and health and hygiene certifcates? are u not just collecting meat and storing it before delivery/collection? is it not just the collection from the butchers to home thats the issue without a fridge-van. maybe theyl deliver?   am i missing something? we cant all start off with a fully prepped shop, incase wev no market. is the health man expecting washable floors and sinks etc?
a really good farm shop up the road from me is set up in posh sheds and very rustic. it has proper fridges etc but it doesnt resemble a butchers.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »
remember friends is a broard description, vague aquantances will do random folks off the internet so long as you know them vaguely etc. etc. are all fine...
random folk off the internet?  who-ever can you mean bloomer?!
::D
Little Blue

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 06:39:45 pm »
:) me if i don't move!!!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:03 pm »
Some of my new best friends are random folk off the Internet ! Love em   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS