Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags for slaughter - one or two?  (Read 30580 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Ear tags for slaughter - one or two?
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:08 pm »
Hi there again,

another silly question

our boys are off for slaughter next week. They came to us at 12 weeks with one metal ear tag each marked by the breeder. Would it be sufficient/legal to take them with one ear tag. I am taking them to mutch meats in witney and they said they could deal with tags with the previous owners number on as long as all paperwork tied up but I forgot to ask if they needed one or two tags.

Thanks again for any advice. Not looking forward to trying to get them in the trailer!!!

P

Re: Ear tags for slaughter - one or two?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:45:47 pm »
Just one is the legal requirement
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:48:28 pm »
Thanks so much :-)

We'll buy an ear tagger next time then. Mangolitzas next :-)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 08:52:14 pm »
I have some Mangalitza's being born at the end of the month, really looking forward to them being born.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:32:48 am »
Mangalitsa babies are incredibly cute.  Little roly poly brushes on legs.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 12:30:41 pm »
When you take them to slaughter they will need a metal ear tag with your herd number on.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 01:24:42 pm »
When you take them to slaughter they will need a metal ear tag with your herd number on.

Not if they are under a year old when they go to slaughter they don't x

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 01:27:59 pm »
Yes they do

The rules are as follows:

* All pigs over 12 months of age need to be identified using a Defra herdmark from every holding the depart.
    * The permanent identification of all pigs prior to movement to market, regardless of age and whether moved to slaughter or another holding. Identification can be by either an eartag or a tattoo containing the Defra herdmark or a slapmark. A slapmark must be legible on each shoulder area of the pig.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:30:03 pm by supplies for smallholders »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:50:44 pm »
The rules I have says
Pig movement regs (tagging)
PRIMO 2008
Any pig (over 1 year) moving off holding must have ID mark of departure holding.
EXCEPTIONS - pigs under one year Moving holding to holding - they can have a temporary mark of departure holding
                                               To market or slaughter - they don't need departure holding tag - the one they had from breeder is fine.
I have sent pigs like that and have had no problems

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:46 pm »
The rules I have says
Pig movement regs (tagging)
PRIMO 2008
Any pig (over 1 year) moving off holding must have ID mark of departure holding.
EXCEPTIONS - pigs under one year Moving holding to holding - they can have a temporary mark of departure holding
                                               To market or slaughter - they don't need departure holding tag - the one they had from breeder is fine.
I have sent pigs like that and have had no problems

The above info being told to me over the phone by man from DEFRA which is why is in my own words a bit where I wrote it all down. I know people I've sold my pigs to have sent them to slaughter with the tags I put in thema t 8 weeks and not added their own. People buying to fatten a couple don't want to buy an ear tagger and repalce your tags when sending pork to slaughter ant 6-8 months old!

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:15 pm »
Hi,

As far as I know, we are still working to PRIMO 2007:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/642/contents/made

These are the rules, regardless of whether people want to buy tags and taggers for a couple of pigs or not.

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 02:55:30 pm »
Hi plt102,
if possible, a couple of days before your pigs go to slaughterhouse feed them in the trailer and let them get used to it,if they have not been in one before (other than collecting them when they were small), it gets them used to going up the ramp and don't feel threatened. You can also feed only a little food the night before slaughter and feed in morning to get them in the trailer, the hungrier they are the more they are willing to go into the trailer first time. If my pig looses an ear tag before slaughter time I paint mark mine on the back and never have had any problems. HTH

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »
Lillian....

Im shocked !

As a senior member of the SPKA Im surprised at you admitting breaking the law and advocating others do the same

Shame on you !
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:58 pm »
hi sfs,
I have never had any problems from my enviromental guy about the paint mark, the schedule gets sent to him and he has not  sent to the bad baby corner yet. ;D ;D ;D I am only stating this is what i do when a tag is lost. I have bought a better kind of tag and pliers now, than the crap babe tags and the applicator so it is not a regular thing now ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:16:24 pm by lillian waddell »

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »
Hi Lillian,

Then you have a very lenient inspector at your abattoir...

I see a few problems with your method:

1) at another abattoir if after the pig was dropped off and you left, an inspector may spot a missing tag, or an incorrect tag (wrong herdmark) and condemn the meat.

2) If you hadn't left, but had unloaded he could do the same - you would not be able to bring it home.

3) If someone else on the day had done the same (ie paint mark) then how would you know that you received the correct carcass back - unless you have some paint which withstands the de-hairing process.

I like this forum and find it informative, and interesting - sometimes the arguments get very entertaining. But surely any advice given must follow the correct (Legal) procedure.

How would you feel if after taking your advice someone who had spent months lovingly raising a pig or two had them condemned at the abattoir?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS