Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is my gilt too old?  (Read 7504 times)

gemmaspigs

• Joined Dec 2010
Is my gilt too old?
« on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:41 pm »
At what age would a gilt get too old to become in pig? She is about 16 months and i have tried AI 3 times and she does not seem to take to it. It is too late to try her with a boar?

HappyHippy

Re: Is my gilt too old?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:48:11 pm »
It's verging on too late - but pigs have a habit of defying what they're supposed to do  ;)
I'd get her to a boar asap and give it a try.
HTH
Karen x

gemmaspigs

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:02:12 pm »
Thanks Karen, i would hate to have to turn her into sausages  :( i will give her a go with a boar and see what happens. Do you think a 6 month boar would be to little as she is quite large!!  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:16:03 pm »
a 6 month old boar will be to small and imature for her
some gilts just dont settle with A I and some dont with natural service :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »
She needs a boar of at least the same age or he can't reach! ;D
Mandy  :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:10 pm »
I'd second what Lillian and Mandy said.
You want a 'proven' boar - someone who's up to the job in hand, with a proven fertility record. There's not much advantage to be gained trying out a young boar who might not know what to do  ;) And if she doesn't get in-pig you'll not know if it's because of her age or his technique. Time is definately of the essence - get an expert piglet maker on the job  ;D
Karen x
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:34:20 pm by HappyHippy »

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31:07 pm »
But make sure he's gentle with her....... No, seriously, you need an experienced boar with a nice gentle temperament. I'd rate that more important for a first litter than using a boar of the same breed. One of our gilts was first mated at 15 months with no problems. Good luck! :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:50:39 pm »
i should have said a boar that Will not stand any girly silliness are the best ones (when the tailgait droops) straight to work not even waiting to get the nickers off ;D :o :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:31:53 am »
A kune kune sow, 3 years old had been running with two different boars at different times, had never become pregnant.  She came to us for a very short time, never even saw her come into season.  Certainly never saw her nip out of her field and in with our boar and then back into her own field.  BUT 3 months and a few days after she left us, she produced 9 piglets.  HTH

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
Like you, 'Aunty Petal' had three lots of AI.  She went off to the boar at 17 months; we're expecting within the next week or so!  With hindsight she should have gone to the boar after attempt no. 2 with the AI - I think I didn't have Barry White playing or something when I tried to get her in pig....

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:06:23 pm »
aye ye canna beat the real thing
when the ark is a rocking
dont come a knocking :pig: :wave: ;)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 11:47:12 am »
You guys are too funny-reading this just made my morning a little brighter ;D ;D ;D :wave: :wave:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »
 Some gilts never  come in to pig and are just baron  but this is just some times

gemmaspigs

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 03:19:15 pm »
Thanks for all your replies you have been most helpful. Does anyone know of someone who has a boar in my area, West Malling, Kent that has a nice, gentle proven boar  ;D
Also do you think it best that we get a boar in or take her to a boar, i have never done this before as have always been successful with AI.  ;)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:12:52 am »
One of my Tamworth boars (Hamlet) is in Kent. Drop a line to Michele (skidley_uk@hotmail.com). He's a lovely boy. If anyone can do it, Hammy can.
Good luck.
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS